Sunday, March 31, 2013

50 over 50


Iris Apfel, 91

The Guardian have published their guide to the 50 best-dressed people over 50.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/gallery/2013/mar/29/50-best-dressed-over-50s#/?picture=406350738&index=0

I'm closer to 50 than 40, so was pleased to see a feature on people on the more mature end of the spectrum. As the accompanying articles says 'The very concept of a level playing field is anathema to fashion. This is unfair, politically incorrect, and makes People Like Us very cross. But it is what it is: if you are young, beautiful and slim, you have a head start when it comes to looking fabulous, before we even start on finances.'

As I get older, I find older people far more elegant and interesting to look at than some of the scantily-clad whipper-snappers in the public eye. Smooth-faced perfection has its place, but I prefer a bit of character and cragginess in a face.
I'm certain that many of the people featured in this article have succumbed to some cosmetics enhancements, but I naively hope that not all of them have. I really think that we should be embracing ageing as a wonderful and beautiful thing, rather than desperately trying to cling to our youth. No enhancements for me as I age. I'll be allowing nature to mess with my face rather than a surgeon.

What do you think? Is ageing beautiful or will you fight it?





Helen Mirren, 67


Carine Roitfeld, 58


Bill Nighy, 63


Tilda Swinton, 52


Lucinda Chambers, 53


Aung San Suu Kyi, 67


2 comments:

  1. I enjoy my life and also everything that i have experienced to come to this point.
    On the other side i am a little scared to age, even though 50 now is different from the 50 of former times.
    It is very encouraging to see how good 50 looks on this ladies.Love Iris Apfel and her boldness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite a few very cool friends who are over 50 and totally fabulous. I refuse to subscribe to the idea that women should be invisible over a certain age. I love Iris Apfel too. Such a stylish lady.

      Delete