Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A shoe story

Last year, the 4 of us (husband and two kinders) went back to Europe for our once every 3-4 year trip. All of our respective families are living in various parts of Europe, so we try to go back as often as $$ allows. It's a very long trip.... 24 hours or so on the plane, and a lot of money to get us all there.
Anyway, we usually spend a couple of weeks in London (my hometown) shopping and seeing friends, before heading off to other countries to visit in-laws etc.
I almost never buy shoes in Australia, so the London trip is my chance to go shoe mad.
I'm very picky about shoes. I have small, wide feet, and I can't walk in heels over about 3 inches. I also expect my shoes to last a loooong time. I have boots from 1987 that I still occasionally wear, and they are in quite good shape - I look after them well.
So, this last trip I was on a mission to get some new heels that will work with skirts and pants. I didn't want pumps or stilettos as I walk a lot and can't do spindly heels.
On my 3rd day in London I headed to Selfridges shoe department and found the PERFECT shoes: dark blue heeled loafers by Fendi. They were a thing of great beauty to me, with all the key things I look for in a shoe: quirky, 2.5 inch sturdy heel, almond toe, geeky.....
However, they were also £695. About £300 over my budget
I was gutted. I walked away and plotted how to get them. I returned twice to try them on again, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much.
After our 2 weeks, we headed off to France and I tried to put them out of my mind. I managed to buy the two other shoes I was after, ankle boots (found in Berlin) and sandals (found in Paris), but the shoes eluded me. I tried to finder a cheaper version, but nothing suitable could be found.

Since returning from our trip, I've been looking out for the Fendi shoes online, to see if I could find them on sale, and hey presto! Today I found them in the Barneys website! In my size! For $270!

Reader, I bought them! I am so pleased to have found them. Fingers crossed they will ship and arrive promptly... Not that I will be able to wear them until April when the cast comes off.





8 comments:

  1. I cant wait to see you review them. They are beautiful and will be a workhorse for your wardrobe.
    Plus you can look forward to be done with your cast and have the shoes be your incentive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are as good as I remember in real life! I'm so looking forward to losing the cast and wearing real shoes!
      Thanks Ina! I will certainly review them.

      Delete
  2. You were meant to be with those shoes, glad you scored them for a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does seem as if it was meant two be! Thanks for visiting and commenting, Lisa. I love your blog!

      Delete
  3. Love them. Did get them in that blue? That blue adds an unexpected kind specialness to a style I would expect to be mahogany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the blue colour! They came in black and brown too, but the blue is the best, I think. V excited that I managed to get them! Internet shopping is like some bizarre hunt!

      Delete
  4. It was definitely meant to be! Glad that you got them at such a good price. I didn't know Barneys shipped internationally, have they changed their policy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they only started shipping o/s recently, as I remember stalking shoes on Barneys in the past and being unable to order. They use FiftyOne, the same company as J Crew. Shipping was $35, which isn't too bad for shoes, I guess.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete