Thursday, March 14, 2013

J Crew Sterling skirt



My penultimate J Crew purchase for this season has just arrived!
I snapped this up late at night last week when it appeared briefly on the site. Inspired by JScrewed, Beach Chic Style and Bourbon & Pearls (via Gigi's gone Shopping) I hit the order button without too much thought for whether or not it would fit.

Happily, it fits perfectly. In fact, I think it might be my New Favourite Skirt. It's such a vivid shade of jadey turquoise, such a perfect slight A line shape.... Now all I need is two functioning legs and some cooler weather and I will truly rock this skirt!
Note the lovely grosgrain facings on the waistband! If only it were lined in silk!



J Crew Sterling skirt. Size 00P. Colour Retro Jade.
Styled here with a J Crew vintage tee in navy and a hospital crutch.




As an aside, I still find it bizarre that I take a 00 in J Crew. Really slim females must be totally sized out of a lot of clothes these days due to vanity sizing. I have a couple of 'vintage' pieces that show just how mad sizing has become these days. As an example: a Jean Muir pea coat from the late 70s I'd guess. It's a UK size 12 and fits me fine after a bit of bust and arm slimming.

11 comments:

  1. Ruth,this looks great on you and i think i need to try the sterling skirt one of these days too:)
    That was very fast for the skirt to get to you!
    My tees are out for delivery today and this time i sized down for a closer fit,so we will see how they work(i ordered the xxs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina, it's a gorgeous colour! I really love the style too. It's a bit longer than the pencil skirts, approx 50 cm long. I prefer a skirts a bit longer these days for the sake of my middle-aged knees!!
      Looking forward to seeing pics of your new tees.

      Delete
  2. In my humble opinion retro jade comes about as close as one gets to the perfect colour. Go show Sydney how broad the colour spectrum is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it's amazingly uplifting, that retro jade. I have a very cat- destroyed eames chair upholstered in a slightly less vibrant hue.
      I can't wait to wear this beauty out.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful fit & color. It's a great silhouette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've barely worn it in winter, mine will be coming out April/May - weep for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. I'm weeping for you! Although not really, as I secretly wish I lived in Scotland. Is there sign of Spring yet?
      Thos pics of you in the skirt on Gigi's blog were the deciding factor on me being it. You're so glam and chic!

      Delete
  6. Ruth I just realized you have a blog! The skirt is so pretty. Isn't the vanity sizing nutso! Now I need to read your older posts, I need to find out what you did to your leg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani, can I just say how thrilling it is to have a 'real' established blogger reading my new and rather amateur blog!! And Tabitha above. I feel very honoured!
      The ankle is explained in my details on my other blog, 111 Albermarle.
      Vanity sizing is crazy. It's even worse here in Aus. I can fit in to age 10 kids stuff here, sometimes!

      Delete