Sunday, April 28, 2013

A weekend at the beach, gratuituous beach shots

We've just spent another long weekend at our friends' wonderful beach house on the South Coast of NSW. The weather was absolutely perfect: 26C and sunny, but cooler overnight.
I broke with my habit of never knowingly being crafty and taught myself to sew blanket stitch! My amazing hostess C spent a lot of the weekend making bedlinen, crocheting a blanket and re-purposing old blankets into dolls' bedlinen for M (oldest child). My talents don't stretch to this degree of creativity, but the least I could do was to add some embellishment to the beautiful blanket that C made:

Photo by C


We went to a couple of different beaches. I'm not supposed to walk on sand, so I couldn't do my usual very long beach walks, but I did hobble down to the water

The boys went rock exploring

As I couldn't do a beach walk, I went beach-house perving instead! I love this house. It's a typical South Coast Fibro house that has had a total tart-up. Simple, but lovely. Also probably worth a bomb.

Another very cool house. It looks as if it's either got squattters in it or is empty and very unloved. Wish I had a spare million $ so I could buy it and bring it back to life! It's got a lovely curved wall.

Pelicans in the bay!

Sunday morning at the beach

M snorkeling

Everyone off for a swim

The dolls' bed complete with crocheted blankets and cushions and re-purposed blanket. Note the blanket stitch!! Not bad for a beginner! C is a master crocheter, she made the blanket in a couple of hours one morning, in between making scones and lemon curd!!

Very cool 'A' frame house that I would also love to buy!

Hope you had a lovely weekend. 

20 comments:

  1. That looks like such a peaceful and beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cate! It is very beautiful. We love going there very much. It's only 3 hours away from Sydney, but feels like a other world!

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely - your friends crocheting is very impressive!! The beach houses look a lot like the ones we used to holiday at when I was young... all asbestos shacks with the occasional 'modern' A frame thrown in for good measure. All worth a bomb now too, but a lot have been torn down and replaced with modern places that really don't have much character to them at all xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, her crocheting is utterly amazing!
      I adore old fibro beach shacks. This particular area attracts a fair number of wealthy Sydney-siders who seem to renovate old beach houses quite sensitively. There are plenty of huge McMansion style abominations, too. We try to ignore them.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a great weekend!
    The beach looks beautiful and the dollbed too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely weekend. The doll bed is now back at home. M's American girl dolls seem to be loving it! Do your girls have American Girl dolls?

      Delete
    2. Yes,we have four AG dolls, lots of clothes and Bisquit the dog!

      Delete
    3. Thought you might have some AG dolls! M loves them - she has three and a Kidz & Katz doll bought in Berlin...

      Delete
  4. One of my best friends lives somewhere on the south coast of NSW. I hear it is lovely and she keeps saying I am missing out. It does look really lovely. Thanks for the beach house tour - I love scouring the area for different types of houses too. Do be careful with your foot though - sand is ardous on the body!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CSW, you need to come back for a visit!
      I loved your pics of Belgravia v much. House perving is such fun.... Particularly in posh areas.
      The foot didn't like the sand much, so I didn't spend much time walking on the beach.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! I can't really read this post as we were pack with our boots and down jacket over the weekend! We have had couples of spring days last week, but we are back in winter :-( When I see this blue sky... I just wish it could come over here... Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry funkysteph! Hope your weather improves soon...
      We are very lucky with the sunny weather here. I never take it for-granted as I'm from the UK originally. I appreciate every rain-free day here!

      Delete
  6. What great pictures! Love the houses and how about that hot bikin babe? The blanket and pillows are cute - I used to know how to do a blanket stitch - must re-learn it!

    We are having grand weather - it really feels like spring is well and truly here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! The bikini may need to be retired in a year or so as my parts head ever Southwards!!
      I love blanket stitch - mine is rather uneven as I'm self-taught and not very practised.
      So glad your weather is warming up - time to break out some of your lovely sandals!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the lovely photos!! Your blanket stitch looks lovely. It looks like you and your family had a fabulous weekend. Whenever I see pics from Australian bloggers, I am always blown away by the beauty of the place. I was born in Sydney and lived there for the first 5 years of my life, but sadly have little recollection of the place except for the brilliant sunshine almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Aus is very beautiful. I'm still stunned by its harsh beauty even though I've been here for nearly 14 years. How interesting that you were born here! D you have an Aus passport? Where did you live?
      The sun is very bright....

      Delete
  8. I love house spotting. I even flick through real estate sites online sometimes when I am bored. Australia's long lived love of fibro makes me smile and cringe at they same time but you have managed to find some with great retro charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jude! I love looking at ral estate online and planning what I'd buy if I won the lottery (if I even played the lottery!)
      There's a definite trend on the South Coast of tarting up old fibro houses. They go for a small fortune because wealthy Sydney-siders love their ironic charm!

      Delete
  9. I would like a house by the water - how sweet would that be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very sweet indeed. I need a money tree....!

      Delete