Sunday, April 21, 2013

At the beach

This weekend I headed down South to stay with friends at their beach house. NSW decided to go all tempestuous and moody and rain torrentially on Friday night and almost all day Saturday. There were gale force winds and lots of boats in the bay were washed up on the beach:





 It was very brrr and we went for a brisk walk when the rain stopped for a brief while

No Glamourous outfits for me this weekend:



Then, on Sunday, the sun returned and we went to the beach. The children went swimming, but I don't take my clothes off unless the outdoor temp goes above 26 degrees C, so I stayed firmly clothed.


There's a lot of seaweed washed up on the beach after the storms:


The beach:


Later on Sunday afternoon I made a Yoghurt and Olive Oil cake from The Gourmet Farmer Deli Book (Matthew Evans' cook book from his TV series). It's super easy and took me about 10 minutes to prep and 50 mins to bake. Note I'm wearing a J Crew cashmere houndstooth sweater. It was still chilly!


This was the result. There were 5 adults and 6 children, so the whole thing got eaten within about 10 minutes. It was yummy. I'll definitely be making it again.


Hope you had a great weekend with lots of good food and friends to enjoy it with.

14 comments:

  1. Those kids are one or two growth spurts from you asking for help to reach the high shelf. Hope you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those are the youngest, smallest ones..... My oldest will be taller than me by the end of the year, I'd say. Mind you, it's not hard to be taller than me!

      Delete
  2. That looks like a Scottish summer holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We did drink plenty of whiskey last night too....
      I have fond memories of a summer in Edinburgh about 24 years ago.... I seem to remember it was sunny, but perhaps my memories are clouded by the years? Or perhaps I was just too inebriated to notice.....

      Delete
  3. Did you just say that your swimsuit weather is 26?!!

    It was 13 degrees yesterday but the sun was shining and I swear everyone was out in maxi dresses and no shirt on in the park...I was on my bench tanning. No joke.

    We are morphing into penguins over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know.. I am a total spoilt wimp. I've always felt the cold. British winters were pure torture!

      13 degrees is thermal undies and wool coat weather for me. When I lived in Russia I thought I would die, it was sooooo cold. I used to avoid going out for weeks on end.

      Delete
  4. What a contrast between Saturday and Sunday! Cake looks delish and you look super glam in the J Crew jumper. Don't blame you for not swimming... must've been incredibly cold in the water still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big temp difference... But autumn is certainly here - I've got the heater on!
      Apparently the water wasn't too bad.... Hmmm

      Delete
  5. Oh it looks beautiful! I make Barry heat the pool to 82F or I won't get in, so I have your back on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 82F is about 28C so I totally support this level of water heating!

      Delete
  6. Love the sweater on you.
    It always makes me regret not buying things when i see them on others:)

    Your cake looks delishes and love days on the beach(rain or sun).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ina, I'm the same with the clothing regrets! My friend with the beach house has the pop art Tippi sweater and I tried it on and now really regret not getting it. Oh well.

      Delete
  7. I had to look up what 26C was and I'm with you, I cannot tolerate the cold, thermal undies are my best friends almost all year long, even in southern California.

    Oh that cake, yummy yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 26C is almost hot, but not quite! I wear thermal in the house once the chill starts. I think your climate in SoCal is probably similar to Sydney.

      Delete