Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Autumn, outfit and dinner

Autumn seems to be on the way in Sydney. It was a chilly 15 degrees C this morning, so I needed to wear tights. The sky is still blue, but there's a definite feeling of cooler temps to come.
This is the view from the top of my street on my way to work this morning. I'm no photographer. Sorry!


Due to a day of meetings with fairly important people, I tried to look a bit more professional than usual. Hard with running shoes, but I tried. I actually took some proper shoes to put on, but totally forgot about them. I had to walk across campus about 5 times, too, so the running shoes were a total necessity.


I'm wearing a Diane von Furstenberg dress, black blazer from an Op shop (thrift store for N Americans, second-hand shop for Brits), usual black Mulberry bag and runners.


Excuse the shots in my work loo. It's too dark by the time I get home to bother taking photos.


This outfit really did look much better with proper shoes, but I'm sure you're getting used to the running shoes ruining everything.

Meanwhile, it's the school holidays, and my family have deserted me. They've all gone off to our friends' beach house for the week while I slave away at work. Due to my 6 week absence during ankle-gate, I feel too guilty to take more holidays. Plus it's still semester at Uni.
It's not all bad, though, as I'm heading to the beach to meet up with them on Friday afternoon.


So tonight I'm having dinner for one. I roasted a whole load of vegies (asparagus, courgettes, fennel and tomatoes). Chucked in some salmon, capers and about a litre of olive oil and put it in the oven for a while.


I've got a total fennel obsession at the moment. I love it raw, roasted, fried.... you name it. It's so delicious I'd eat it at every meal if I could.

I had a small glass of Pinot Grigio, too.


What food are you obsessed with? Do you rate fennel highly?

18 comments:

  1. Love fennel too, and it's a match made in heaven with salmon (and pork).
    Love the smell of Feu de Bois which I see on your table, very wintery. I used to burn it at our old house where we had a gas jetmaster with the fake logs. People started to think it was real with the scent in the air! I'm burning Baies at the moment, as I always feel like our house smells due to ongoing renovations (lack of air flow due to the back of the house being blocked up and a kitchen without an exhaust fan). Outfit is fab - love the pattern and colour on the dress. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feu de Bois is my absolute favourite smell! I wish they made a perfume, too. Baies is divine too.... I just wish they weren't so $$$ here. I stock up when we go to Europe, but that's not very often.

      Fennel and pork... Yum! We make a pork dish with chilli and fennel seeds rubbed into the pork fat.... It is utterly delicious: crackling with chilli and fennel!

      Delete
  2. I have never owned a DvF dress,but it is on my wishlist.Love the print on yours.

    I love fennel and i actually make a fennel,goatcheese and honey tart that my kids adore.Its delicoius with a glass of wine and i have to force myself to not lick the form and eat the crumbs,haha.

    Right now i am obsessed with asparagus(its in season here only for 10 weeks and they mostly grow the white one)and arugula(all year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fennel and goats cheese sounds delicious!
      I love white asparagus. It's not common here. Arugula too... (It's called 'rocket' here in Australia!)
      DVF dresses are wonderful - I have 7 that I've collected over the years. I first started wearing them when I was pregnant and then breast feeding, as the wrap style was great for expanding waistline and then for easy boob access when feeding afterwards. They don't date and are lovely quality.... I usually buy them on sale or on eBay second hand as they're pricy at full price.

      Delete
  3. I also love fennel, I like it raw in salads with lots of feta. I like dried fennel in bread as well, that's yummy.
    Your dinner for one looks perfect!
    Your DVF dress is excellent, those frocks are such classics and so well made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw fennel in salads is so delicious! In Southern Italy it's served between courses sometimes... V yummy indeed.
      It's hard to make an effort for one, but I'm glad I did.
      I love DVF frocks, especially the silk jersey ones. Do you have any, Dani?

      Delete
  4. We had fennel soup last night - love it! It makes sense to me that 15 feels cold to you as you head into winter - in the fall here, 15 is freezing! IN the spring, it seems balmy!

    I love your veggies for one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fennel soup - yum!
      You're right about temperatures... Although 15 never feels very balmy here!

      Delete
  5. Oh that's so healthy and delicious looking, I really like fennel but I have never cooked it at home, I wouldn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha, I'm no fennel expert, but I cut the bottom bit off, remove any grotty outer bits and just chop up the bulb. Chuck it in the oven with lots of olive oil at about 180 degrees and cook it for 15 - 20 mins or so. I usually chuck a whole load of veg in the oven. I'm a firm believer in lots of oil and salt, too.

      Delete
  6. You actually look really Horton chic in that outfit Ruth!! Glad that it's going well with the foot and you are still looking cool...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant hoxton, as in hoxton square. Very trendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I thought you meant Hoxton when I saw that! Hoxton's far too cool for me... When I moved back to the UK in 1997 we lived in Bloomsbury and occasionally ventured out in Hoxton/Shoreditch. Terrifying!
      I'm guessing it's still just as trendy?

      Delete
    2. Even more so. That "r" makes a big difference!

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    I landed here via Dani/WWM blogs... I love, love, love this dress... The print is beautiful and the fabric seems very comfortable... I love asparagus, specially the green ones, but I am not a fan of fennel... I also try to eat more raw food, specially veggies and fruits. This is one of the reasons why I started juicing...
    Wishing you well with your foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FunkySteph, thanks for visiting and commenting! I'm quite new to blogging - started after surgery on a whim!
      I love Dani and WWM's blogs - think I've seen you there!
      I'd love to eat more raw food, but I'm chronically disorganised and have rather culinary unadventurous children.

      Delete
  9. Thanks very interesting blog!

    my blog waist to hip ratio calculator

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks very interesting blog!

    Have a look at my web-site ... waist to hip ratio calculator

    ReplyDelete