Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New J Crew arrivals and ootd


Once again I was lured in by the extra 30% off sale tricks of J Crew. Today my box arrived and I'm not at all disappointed!

I ordered the lightweight boyshirt in stripe (inspired by Ina, Gigi and Rynetta). I decided on a size 0 and I think it's a good fit on me. I could possibly have gone with a 00, but it might have been a bit tight across the chest. This was a really adventurous order for me, as I rarely wear shirts, preferring knits and non-collared tops. However, I love this shirt and think I'll wear it a fair bit.
Here, I'm wearing it with a daft expression and cobalt J Brand jeans:


I swapped the jeans over here for J Crew Pixie pants, bought on eBay for a steal, and not running shoes! They are tan pumps:



I also ordered the Tippi sweater in Tipsy Parsons print, and this too is a winner. This is an xs, which is a nice, slightly slouchy fit on me. Again, probably could have gone the xxs, but I'd rather risk a larger fit than have tight sweater syndrome. Again, I'm wearing with the usual daft pose and expression, and black Pixie pants:



I love the print - it reminds me of an old wallpaper design. It's a mixture of black, dusky pink and cream. I think it will get a lot of wear with pants and jeans this winter. Also with a couple of skirts





Finally, yesterday's work outfit: petrol blue DVF dress, Jenny Kee scarf, Lover leather jacket and black tights with running shoes.





Any Online shopping moments of weakness for you?
PS if anyone knows how I can get this silly iPad to allow me to insert hyperlinks to other's blogs I would be eternally grateful. I can't be bothered hand coding....

16 comments:

  1. The good thing about being so slim is that anything looks good doesn't it? I do like shirts, I threw loads out years ago but am slowly restarting another round of them. The stripes will give you good use for sure. That other print is reminiscent of wallpaper but I do appreciate people wearing something fun as I am so boring normally.

    I have been so good that I have bought nothing online all year! *pats myself on back*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CSW! I'm slim but so short I often feel a bit frumpy.
      I think you're right about shirts. The key is to fine ones that fit well and don't overwhelm.
      No online shopping all year? I'm very, very impressed! What's your secret??

      Delete
    2. no big secret but I have given away too many clothes that I bought on impulse and I would now rather spend my money on travel or art. I make sure I like something for at least a week before I buy anything now!

      Delete
  2. I love that Tippi sweater on you - such a great print, very wallpaper like, which I love! How much longer for the running shoes? Thought for a moment with the tan pumps that you were officially running shoe less, but obviously not with yesterday's work outfit? No internet purchases for me - I delete the J Crew emails as son as I see them... opening them is dangerous! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, just went back to admire your Oscar de la Renta dresses again... So stunning!

      I could probably wear normal shoes now, but because I walk a lot, both to and from work and to meetings etc across campus, the running shoes a the most comfortable still. I've been talking shoes to work to change into, but keep forgetting to put them on! Had a meeting with a Dean the other day wearing runners.... No one cares how you look in academia!

      I need to ignore those emails. I've un subscribed from NAP and the Outnet, but J Crew is hard as I do love their basics.... And that they fit me.

      Delete
  3. Love the shirt and tippi on you!
    You should try shirts more often,it looks great:)

    Thank you so much for letting me know the code!How`did you find out?
    They didnt send me an email even though i signed up as a insider.
    I will wait for the new arrivals tomorrow and then get a few things:)

    A lot of info about blogging here.
    HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina, it was your shirt wearing that inspired me. I think I'm a bit shirt-shy also due to the issue of ironing them. I don't iron, so anything that needs ironing gets left in a pile to languish. Or has to go to the laundry. I have quite a few silk shirts that I manage to stain every time I wear (Wendy shares this talent with me, I think!), and I send a fortune taking them to the cleaners. I'm hoping this cotton shirt will fare better.
      I still won't iron it though....

      Delete
  4. Tippis are great, I'd like a drawer full of them, they are like sweatshirts but smarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes I'd love a whole drawer of them in lots of lovely colours. I'd love a cashmere one too...

      Delete
  5. Oh you look great! I had a weakness but is all going back! I will wait till tomorrow and see the rollout before any more "impulse" shopping! sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks Wendy! Sorry to hear yours are going back, but better to send back than regret.
      I'm intrigued to see what will be in the next rollout, but as it's getting chilly here, will probably not be buying. Plus, we are renovating soon. Eek!

      Delete
  6. both pieces look great on you, ruth. And yay for real shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, AB! Real shoes are very exciting!! I wore ankle boots out tonight!

      Delete
  7. I love both of these pieces on you! The Tippi is hands down my favorite J. Crew sweater. It's so versatile and functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tippi is fantastic! I would love a whole stack of them!

      Delete
  8. Hi Ruth,

    Love stripes!! And tight jeans with loose shirts always work.

    Ahh...ebay...one of the best things technology has invented :) I used to buy a lot coz I love cheap quirky finds, but I'm more of a seller now.

    Nothing daft about the pose and expression. It's more look-I'm-getting-the-hang-of-it look :)

    MsMadge

    ReplyDelete