Sunday, May 19, 2013

I've won a Liebster Blog award!!!

I don't think I've ever won anything in my life, so imagine my surprise and excitement when Naomi, from CouldaShouldaWoulda contacted me to offer me the award! I'm honoured to be asked, especially as I'm in awe of her blog. Based in London, she writes about her travels, fashion, home decor and interiors (plus Mad Men!). If you haven't visited her blog, I highly recommend a look.

It's also cool to win something seeing as this blog has only been around for just over 3 months. I started it when I was recovering from ankle surgery, and couldn't walk or leave the house. I wasn't really sure whether or not I would continue for long, but I've enjoyed the contact and community that exists in the blogosphere and here I am, still posting blurry pictures of my outfits from my work loo and enjoying it.

Thanks so much to Naomi for the award, and thanks to all of you who visit and/or comment.

Here are the questions that Naomi passed to me:

1. If you could look like anyone who would it be?

Hmm. This is a difficult one. I'm going to cheat and choose two:

Uma Thurman

Adrian Brody
I'd love to spend a day or so as a man, and it may as well be as a man I find attractive.... He looks like some Modigliani painting with that wonderful nose.
Uma is just gorgeous - what an amazing face!

2. What character from a book do you most identify with?
Hmm. Hard one. I rarely find a character I can truly identify with, but perhaps Nora from 'A Doll's House' by Henrik Ibsen. She is strong and feisty. Another great character is Bathsheba Everdene, from Hardy's 'Far from the Madding Crowd'. Both of these characters are strong women living in a time when it wasn't common to show strength as a female. It's interesting that I've chosen books from the 19th Century written by men.
I actually found it very difficult to answer this question.

3. What is your favourite flower?

I love snowdrops. They don't grow here in Australia, but I loved spotting them in the woods in the UK every winter.
snowdrops


4. If you could meet one person from the past, who would it be?
Probably my Grandmothers. They died when I was very young, so I would love to meet them.

5. What would you talk about?
Family, history and their lives. They were both born in the early years of the 20th Century and lived through WW1 and WWII in the UK

6. Have you ever won anything? If you have, what was it?
This award!! And a meat tray at the local pub last year!

7. Which bag would you choose between a Chanel 2.55 bag or Hermes Kelly bag?
Hermes Kelly - not a fan of Chanel bags AT ALL. Can't bear all that quilting.

8. What one event will forever remain etched in your  memory?
The births of my children - the pain and joy and sorrow.

9. If you were stranded on a desert island and could only take one book, which one would it be?
At the moment, I'd take William Dalrymple's 'Return of a King' because I'd probably actually manage to concentrate and read it.

10. What made you finally write a blog?
Being confined to bed for almost 6 weeks and being obsessed with clothes and fashion in general. I saw all these lovely blogs of women in their clothes (not the pro bloggers, just normal people) and thought to myself 'I'd like to do that too!'. I had free time to do it for the first time in decades!



20 comments:

  1. Loved reading your answers...but snowdrops do grow in Australia, just not in Sydney. My childhood house had a huge patch of them, and I have lots of memories of picking them for vases in my bedroom as a little child. Can't believe you've only been blogging for 3 months.. feels like much longer I've been reading your posts. Congrats on the award! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! Snowdrops in Aus? Must do my research before posting! I assumed the climate was all wrong here!
      Must pay a trip to SA one of these days in winter!
      These three months have gone ridiculously quickly!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ruth! Thanks again for accepting and taking the time to do the questions - I am finding it so much fun reading the answers! It's funny but you do have a "type" dont you? I think Uma and Adrian could almost pass as siblings...I adore Uma's look, so distinct and much more than just good looking. Intrigued by your book choice - it hasn't even been on my to read list but after this my interest is piqued and I am definitely going to try and read it! Well, things comes in threes so hopefully you win something really big next! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving it to me, Naomi! I love reading the answers to these sorts of questions - I'm so nosy that any tidbits of information about people's lives enthral me!
      William Dalrymple is an amazing writer. He's a historian/travel writer who has written a lot about India and the Middle East.
      I recommend 'City of Djinns' if you want to get a taste of his writing. I've read all his books, but haven't had the time to get into his latest. It's about the British occupation of Afganistan in the mid 19th Century.

      Delete
  3. Ruth - I LOVE your answers - so unique and interesting! Am now off to check out coulda shoulda woulda!

    Oh - and am intrigued by being a man for a couple of days. You know i was tempted to automatically pick George, but then realized that I think I would rather be Churchill for a couple of days. of course, we will have to raise him from the dead, but hey, anything is possible - why not a little time travel, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Churchill would be a fab choice!!
      It was quite hard choosing people, and very hard to choose a character that I identify with!

      Delete
    2. Wendy, I'll join you for your breakfast bottle of champagne then!

      Delete
  4. A meat tray? You lucky dog! What a hilarious prize.
    I love that you didn't chose cookie cutter pretty people ( although Uma is utterly beautiful) I love Adrian Brody's face, especially that nose, it's so individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Meat Tray! Such an Australian institution!
      It usually consists of a load of scarily pink sausages (snags in Aus) and some lamb chops. You whack it on the barbie for dinner the following day!
      Adrian's nose is beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Congrats, a very well deserved award indeed! Loved reading your answers - I have admired UmaThurman since first seeing her in "Dangerous Liaisons". I would also take the Hermes Kelly over the Chanel! Hope you are having a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise! Uma is just stunning. She was great in Dangerous Liaisons.
      I tired to leave a comment on your Diane Lau post today when I was at work, but it disappeared into the ether. I'm having a bad tech day today....

      Delete
  6. First a meat tray now a blog award, it doesn't get better than that. It was fun reading your answers, although I had scratch my head when I tried to picture your OOTDs on Adrian Brody.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Adrian could totally rock the JC pixilated skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth,i just saw the pixilated skirt worn with the striped boyshirt.
    You can see it here.
    Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to scroll down one post:)

      Delete
    2. Hey Ina, thanks for posting the link. It looks lovely on her, although it's perhaps a bit too preppy for me! I think a plain shirt would be more my style.... however, I will try them together and see how I feel!!

      Delete
  9. I like reading these answers.
    My answer re: the bag would be "whichever is most expensive".
    I'd like to be a man for a day. I would be quite incorrigible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Hermes would be more expensive... if I had a Chanel I would sell it!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Ruth,

    Congrats on your Liebster! I'm a fellow Liebster myself as Naomi also awarded my little blog.

    Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself :)

    You made me laugh with the 'meat tray' winning and I love how utterly honest your blog is, just firing away a photo shoot at the loo while looking your best :)

    See you again soon.

    Take care!

    MsMadge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Ms Madge and thanks for visiting and commenting!
      I'll be reading your blog - it's great 'meeting' new people!
      Thanks for the compliment. I am not a great photographer by any means!!

      Delete