Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stripes and Sydney Harbour and new J Crew!

It's been a busy week this week. First up, some work loo pics of a couple of outfits. I seem to be subconsciously having a stripey moment:


J Crew shirt, Topshop jeans, Acne boots, coach bag.

And the following day:


Gorman stripey cotton sweater, same jeans, boot and bag. It's sometimes too hard to be adventurous and original in the work outfit planning. 


On Saturday we took M and 3 of her friends to Luna Park. It's an amusement park on Sydney Harbour. Heaven for children, not so much so for adults. Or so I thought:


J and I found a restaurant with views over the harbour, food and booze, all for not too much $$$. Score!
The girls had unlimited passes to all the rides, so we could relax in the bar while they had a great time. We checked in with them every hour or so, and had lunch together outside. It was chilly, but not too bad - and the rain held off until later in the day.


J and I even managed a quick walk along the foreshore of the harbour to Lavender Bay. It's such a beautiful walk, even in the dreary weather.
I'm wearing a J Crew sweater, as some of you may have spotted!


Shame about all the ugly high rises along the foreshore.


Today, my friend C returned from her business trip to NYC. She did a bit of shopping for me:


J Crew Compilation necklace - I love this - I've been lusting after it since seeing it on Rynetta and Gigi. It didn't disappoint me at all. It's fairly heavy and really is a 'Statement' necklace. I'm not sure whether I'll manage to wear it in the way that the J Crew stylists favour, but I'll try!

The other J Crew item she bought for me is the scarf in punk floral:


I love this print, but knew that that shirt and skirt were too faffy for me. The cashmere sweater would have been great, but too much for a non classic cashmere and it looked more teal than green.
The scarf seem like a good way to add a bit of brightness to my winter outfits:


I'll take some better pics tomorrow. Today was very grey and rainy, so no natural light to speak of in our house.
In other exciting J Crew-related news, the Collection silk skirt in Monarch print (butterfly red skirt for those who don't memorise J Crew's complicated names) is due to be delivered! It was back-ordered until July 12th, but evidently someone returned one in my size or they miraculously found one hanging out in the warehouse.  Anyway, I hope it'll arrive tomorrow afternoon, so I'll post pics of it soon (if it fits).
I'm a bit nervous, as some people have found it a very small cut. We will see.

Hope you've had a good weekend.

20 comments:

  1. Love your new purchases Ruth! The scarf is really beautiful, I love the shade of green. And I'm sure you'll find a lot of places to wear your new necklace.. I have a statement one that I've had a surprising amount of wear from. Love your stripey week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! It was lovely to get the scarf and necklace on such a dreary day! I'm sure the necklace will get worn a lot, it's just a bit more statement-y than I'm used to! I'll wear it to work this week some time I think.
      No glam events coming up so it will have to be integrated into my normal outfits.

      Delete
  2. Foxy mama!
    And love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth - great pictures from the party and bar! I have never haerd the term foreshore before - wonder if that is a distinctly Aussie or British term? Love it! And glad M's party was a hit!

    I am happy you like your necklace and your scarf - they both look great on you! and now we will wait for the great monarch butterfly migration to Australia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Now I'm wondering if 'foreshore' is an Aussie term. I don't think it's a British one.....will have to investigate further!
      I'm very excited about the monarch migration!

      Delete
  4. well those items were worth breaking your shopping ban for! I have been toying with the idea of getting one of those statement necklaces but I haven't been feeling very inspired lately. I wanted to buy a stripey french breton shirt but once again the weather is not inspiring me so this weather has actually been very good for my shopping habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms N!! I'm very pleased with them. I love statement necklaces, but am more of a statement scarf girl, really. I will wear the necklace, but it might not get as much wear as the scarf.

      Delete
  5. Love your stripey outfits and the Gorman sweater is really cool!

    Dont you love when adults can relax while the kids play?
    Food and beer sounds great to me:)

    Great choices in the neclaces and scarf and hopefully the skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina! The Gorman sweater is right up your street - I thought of you when I wore it!
      I love places where we can all enjoy ourselves, so the bar was perfection!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the outfit photos! Love the stripes, and also the blue & green diamond pattern sweater. The necklace and the scarf look gorgeous on you, nice picks! Looking forward to your review of the monarch skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise!
      The skirt arrived today and is fabulous. I'll post some blurry pics later on tonight!

      Delete
  7. I love all of these looks!!! Like you, I love stripes! And, I love the punk floral print on you. Thanks SO much for the link love! I absolutely LOVE the Crystal Compilation Necklace on you!!!!!! You're rocking that baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rynetta. I love how much inspiration I get from your blog - and I adore the necklace v much.

      Delete
  8. Luna Park, I remember going there as a child four decades ago. It seemed so big then now when I go back we can see it across the harbour from our hotel room it seems a little mingy and dingy. All your looks are great but I am particularly charmed by the stripey sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not very big, Jude. Our kids still love it, and it was a great place to go with 4 Tweens.
      The stripey was a total bargain at the end of our summer. Was Gorman around before you left Aus?

      Delete
  9. I love stripes but I am not sure they really flatter me... We have never been on the Australian continent... The trip itself just stop me about thinking of it...
    It is a statement necklace... Will you share your different uses?
    The scarf looks lovely, the colours look really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia is just a ridiculously long way from Europe. Whenever we go back it is a Very Long flight....
      I'll certainly share my necklace outfits - am planning to wear it to work this week and out for dinner at the weekend!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the link love. How nice of your friend to bring that back. Save on shipping! It looks great, Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! I rely on your blog so much. It's a pleasure to link to it.
      C is a great friend. J Crew is so much cheaper in the US!

      Delete