Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Home again, home again.....

After almost 2 weeks of being on the road (so to speak) with almost no Internet for 6 days, I'm back in the city.
I had a wonderful time in NZ and down South. 
Here is the new addition to my children's family of NZ native birds. From right to left Kane Kakapo, Samuel Montgomery, Jim Frayne and Henry Meads.
The small ones in the front are Brian Ravenscourt and Tiki Boomer.


After flying back to Sydney from Auckland I managed to unpack and re-pack in 12 hours, then set off down to the South Coast of NSW for a long weekend to celebrate my friend BB's birthday. We rented a large beach house with a wood-burning stove, which was just wonderful. The weather was amazing: sunny and clear, but cold, around 15 degrees C during the day and 5 degrees over night.


We went on lots of bush walks in the area. As you may have noticed above, my new J Crew Monarch scarf has arrived. I love it, and have been wearing it almost constantly.
The J Crew herringbone cashmere above has had a lot of use too.


Despite the cold, my crazy 12 year-old went swimming in the surf! She was totally numb when she came out!


As it was B's birthday, we drank a very large amount...... and cooked a lot of very delicious food.



On the back deck there were some very tame Kookaburras. D stroked their tails!!


Another shot of the scarf!


The back deck, table set for brunch


The boat ramp.

How are you? Any holidays or new purchases? I had a look at the new J Crew stuff on the website and was deeply underwhelmed. I'm still pondering pre-ordering the mosaic sweater.....
Any pre-orders for you? 


16 comments:

  1. Looks like you and the fam had a fantastic time, Internet or not! Heck, who needs Internet?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Lisa! I found I didn't miss it much at all. It was fab to just walk, talk, cook, eat and drink!

      Delete
  2. Your posts are making me miss the ocean! I'm glad you are back after good travels. I bought the monarch scarf recently too! I can't figure out what that mosaic sweater is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you love the Monarch scarf? I get so many compliments on it when I wear it!
      Sorry, I wasn't very clear about the sweater! It's not called the mosaic sweater at all, that what I call it to myself!
      It's one of the Fall pre-order items. The number is 03329 I think. It's sort of Dries van Noten - esq. It's also $498 Aus, so not to be ordered without a lot of thought!!

      Delete
  3. Love the birds!
    I am glad you enjoyed the weekend:)

    No pre-orders for me,as fall arrives very late okt/nov in Atlanta.
    The new arrivals underwhelmed me too,but i usually still find things.
    The scarf looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your lost order, and more importantly, your daughter's arm :-(
      Good luck with your packing, too!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing!

    Never pre-ordered, since most likely the sweater will be on sale in the store in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you're right. I'm sure it will be on sale soon! I just sort of want it ASAP, as it's winter here! It's too pricy, though, I think.

      Delete
  5. Oh I LOVE your new scarf - looks beautiful. Your trip away looks really lovely, and I adore the kiwi family that your children have. Thanks to you I managed to make a purchase on J Crew after around a year hiatus... just shorts and t-shirts, and I wonder how long they'll last (the t-shirts are 'vintage' which look great now, but suggest they'll run to holes fairly quickly!). But I am pleased to be all set up for next Summer (and speaking of that, why is it that I'm always buying for a season ahead? I should try to be happy in the one I'm in!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! Sorry for the J Crew enabling.... Hope the shorts wear well! I have a 'vintage' t shirt and it's done well so far - better quality than the terribly overpriced Bassike ones I bought 2 summers ago. They went holey after 3 washes! Note impressed!
      Which shorts did you buy?
      I almost always buy for a season ahead too. It just makes more sense. However, I do love the Pre-Fall collections that are coming out now..... I spent far too long lusting over stuff on Matches yesterday night, but held strong. I have a rule to buy no winter clothes past the end of July. We shall see how I go this year!

      Delete
    2. I bought the 4" chino shorts in navy and also white. They're a really nice cut, and quite flattering on me... I find shorts difficult as I don't feel my legs are my best asset, but these cut off at just the right point... before the wobbly bit starts at the top of the thigh!
      That's good about the t's. I looked at the more expensive bassike type ones last year, but couldn't bring myself to spend $100+ on a tshirt. These ones with discount were ok price wise. I can cope if they go to holes! xx

      Delete
  6. A kookaburra! I have now seen one with my own eyes, I always thought that in the song it was the name of a person. I see a Scottish bird has wormed its way to NZ and the toy box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kookaburras are wonderful! Despite having lived here for almost 14 years, I'm still totally charmed and excited when I see one. They are so furry and big!
      Jim Frayne is indeed showing some Scottish roots! The company that makes them uses old blankets, so Jim must be hewn from Scottish blanket stock! There's a bit of a NZ / Scotland connection, I believe!

      Delete
  7. Love these pictures Ruth. You look very chic in your duds! No JC for me - though I will stop in at one of their shops on the trip, I am sure! I am impressed with the Kookaburra as well; always sang that song to my children when they were young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! Hope you have a fa time on your trip!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for these photos, Ruth, all of it looks so beautiful. You are so lucky to always be within close reach of the ocean. No pre-orders for me from J. Crew. I have only done it once, to buy a dress, and I ended up returning it - I was able to get it on sale a couple months later for about a quarter of the regular price!

    ReplyDelete