Sunday, August 4, 2013

A long week....

Phew. It's been a long and busy week, which got off to a rather bad (or should I say dusty) start last Sunday.  I had a Very Big night last Saturday, which left me unable to get out of bed at all on Sunday. Back in the day, I was able to drink the night away with very few ill effects the following day. Unfortunately, those days have gone. Some time around my 42nd birthday, my drinking fitness took a plunge and is now very pathetic indeed.
Anyway. Let's just say that last Sunday and Monday I wasn't at my best!
The rest of the week passed in a rushed, busy and generally blah sort of a way.....

This weekend I've been far better behaved, and despite hosting a dinner here on Saturday night, I managed to refrain from binge-drinking and so have a pleasant, hangover-free Sunday.
Last night's outfit wasn't super exciting, but it was comfortable and featured my new shoes:


Sorry for the incredibly dorky expression on my face.
J Crew crystal compilation necklace, Skin & Threads* cashmere sweater, Nudie jeans and Mulberry pumps.
(* this sweater is fabulous - great quality, soft, non-pilling cashmere. SO much better than my J Crew cashmeres)



Meanwhile, Sydney has been doing what it does best: beautiful weather and ridiculously warm days, coupled with very cold nights and mornings.
The blossoms are out in our 'hood:


Magnolias on the trees:


It's still mid-winter, though, so I doubt these balmy days will last.

On Monday night we all went out to the Enmore Theatre (venue just up the road from our house) to see 'Of Monsters and Men'.
They're a band from Iceland who play happy, poppy tunes that my kids love. It was an all-ages gig, so the whole family went.
The kids loved it - we were in the front row of the balcony, so great views and no danger of getting stamped to death in the (very gentle) mosh pit!



Finally, in case you were missing my blurry loo shots, here's a couple to keep you going:


APC stripey sweater, Country Road dress worn as skirt, Trenery scarf and Lover leather jacket


J Crew blue cashmere boyfriend sweater, J Crew scarf (!) Nudie jeans, Acne boots and black Helmut Lang jacket over arm.

I hope you had a splendid weekend and didn't over-indulge in booze!

21 comments:

  1. Snap! We went to see of monsters and men last night! They were terrific!
    Cute outfit. Luff it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great, weren't they? J & I saw them at the Laneways festival in Jan, but were very far away.

      Delete
  2. LOve your first outfit with the grey sweater and the blue shoes!!!

    We are our way tomorrow and the flight leaves in the morning.
    I am excited and fearful at the same time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good luck and Bon voyage, Ina!

      Delete
  3. Love all your outfits. The first two snaps appear to be taken by a rather short photographer... are you employing child labour? Hilarious that you wound up in bed last weekend too... so did my husband - he was out with his school friends for a dinner, and I think you can say that they all paid for it the next day. He said to me when he finally surfaced "but I didn't really drink that much"... I think he thought he was 20 years old, but his liver has decided he's more like his actual age. APC make such great clothes - love the stripy sweater, and your punk flowers scarf looks fab too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! J took th pic, and he's not short.... Perhaps he was ducking down a bit?
      Glad to hear I'm not the only one who over indulges from time to time... Poor Mr AV, and poor you - did he do a poorly voice?
      APC are great, although this year nothing has caught my eye.

      Delete
  4. Your first outfit is a colour combination which I love to wear. I love my Mulberry bags but I haven't had their shoes ...yet! I imagine they are very comfortable as well as stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks missb! Mulberry shoes seem great so far - lovely quality and comfortable (for heels) - they have built in gels on the soles!
      I'm a sucker for grey sweaters!

      Delete
  5. Ruth - you look so pretty - I do love your hair up!

    I really like that band - they have some great songs!

    I don't have any APC but I always like what I see! And I love the grey sweater on you - so chic! Glad you treated your body more kindly this weekend - you are wee small and that can sure impact alcohol consumption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! It's exciting to be able to wear my hair up, as it's been a long time since it was this long!
      You're also right about being too small to drink heavily. I forget that I'm often with people twice my size..... Poor old liver!

      Delete
  6. Thought for a moment you were stepping up and then it was back to the bathroom you go :) All outfits were lovely. So glad your family enjoyed the concert, the evening, each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The previous Sunday I didn't even bother getting dressed!

      Delete
  7. how cool that the whole family goes to a gig! love that idea. you dont look at all dorky - very chic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great gig to go to - very kid friendly! The kids will be able to brag about it for years to come, too!!

      Delete
  8. Grey sweatshirts rank as one of my favourite things. Ive always been a lightweight when it comes to alcohol, hovers are the pitts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh snap, Tabs! I adore grey sweatshirts and sweaters! I almost bought another, slightly darker grey one the other yay, but held off.
      You're very slim, so probably similarly crap with booze to me!

      Delete
  9. How funny, I just tweeted about the same thing yesterday - about not being young anymore and that a night out with alcohol now leaves me needing a complete day or rest the next day - not like the good old days.

    Your new shoes look great in this picture, the colour has really come through and they go perfectly with the jeans!

    Have a great week!

    http://forcailini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's quite tragic, isn't it? I just can't cope at all with hangovers anymore! I used to be able to do an all-nightwear and go to work the following day, but that era is long gone!
      Have a great week too!

      Delete
  10. loving the outfits and definitely going to check out your cashmere source.

    Alcohol is no longer the friend it once was - instant weight gain among other symptoms of advancing age - and let me tell you, it is #*^~# dull to be the only sober or mostly sober person at a gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,
    Sorry for not coming here to say hello for so long... I have been quite overwhelmed...
    It is so lovely to see beautiful flowers... I have planted many in our garden, but due to late summer, I was pretty late and not a lot has bloomed so far. Very frustrating...
    I absolutely love, love your first outfit... I really like this combo... but I wear very little sweaters and I don't really know why ;-)
    Take Care
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cashmere outfit look! I usually get cashmere from J.Crew or M&S (both pill) so I'm off to check out Skin and Threads...

    ReplyDelete