Monday, September 9, 2013

Review of J Crew silk keyhole top and Everlane silk blouse

This silk keyhole blouse has been available for a while now on the J Crew site.
It was one of those things that I noticed immediately, as the colour looked interesting, and I love sleeveless tops for our summer.
I held off buying it for 3 weeks, then it went on promo, and the extra 30% off worked too, so I ordered it. I've been really hoping it was a good fit and that I liked it in real life, as often when I get really excited about things they can disappoint.

I'm glad to say that I'm not at all disappointed and am love with it!


I got size 0 Petite, as I'm quite short-waisted, with a relatively large bust.
It's loose, but not too overwhelming:


Sorry for the blurry and unglam shots. Needs must.
It looks good with jeans.


And also with my trusty Gardenshade floral skirt.
The fabric is a drapey chiffony silk. It's lined with poly (boo), but has bra keeps (hurrah).
Some have mentioned that they find the buttons at the back annoying and fiddly to do up, but I must say I didn't have an issue with them.


The keyhole is a little low. I think I may have given my colleagues a bit of a shock today, as cleavage was certainly visible. Oh well.

Loo pic so you can see it in a different light. I seem to have the most awful smug expression on my face!


One more shot with jeans and pumps, with the patented J Crew side tuck going on ;-)



The other item that arrived was an Everlane blouse that I got on Ebay for a Very Good price:


You may remember that I was moaning about the shocking quality of my Zara blouse a couple of weeks ago. 
I had read some good reviews of Everlane, so thought I might give their silk blouses a go. HOwever, they don't ship outside of the US and Canada yet, so it seemed a bit of a risk to go through the faff of using a shipping forwarder.
I did a quick ebay search and the shopping gods must have been smiling on me, as there was one in my size ending the following day!

This is the collarless version in pale grey, in size xs.


It's a bit wrinkled. I don't iron....

What are your thoughts?
I know the J Crew top has had mixed reviews, but I like it a lot. It will get a lot of wear this Spring/Summer, I think.

24 comments:

  1. Very wearable and each looks comfy and suits you to a tee! And may I add your modelling poses are very natural and set off the outfit well. Makes me more reluctant never to do ootd!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi! I must say that taking all these selfies is a bit bizarre! If someone had told me that I'd be doing this a year ago I would have told them they were mad, but here I am!
      I feel anything but natural surreptitiously taking pics in my work loo!!

      Delete
  2. The sleeveless top looks great, you wear it well with jeans or a skirt! The bra keeps sound promising but the keyhole would drive me crazy so I'd rather not mess with it. As for the button in the back, is it one of those fabric loop and button deals? If so, some of them have smaller loops and are nearly impossible to do/undo, I found when I tried on three different of the same top.

    You didn't say how you like the Everlane? It looks really good but what do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tiffany rose - The back of the keyhole top has 2 fabric covered buttons with the fabric loop. I found them a real pain. I got them buttoned & took pics for my review, but I almost had to call for assistance to have the buttons undone.

      Delete
    2. HI TR, I love the Everlane blouse too - it's a very nice silk, matt and has a good weight so the drape is good. I will be wearing it a lot!
      For the price I am very, very impressed and will certainly be getting more Everlane!

      Delete
  3. I like you in both tops, Ruth! Glad they worked as I know what a pain it is to return things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. It is very, very annoying to return from here!

      Delete
  4. I like it, looks good! I like it with the Gardenshade skirt in particular. I tried it but the keyhole was a bit too low on me. The Everlane top looks nice too. I've never tried on anything from Everlane, probably because I've never seen it in a store and would have to go out of my way to try it. People seem to really like their things, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, the keyhole is pretty low on me, but Sydney is a fairly un-conservative place, and where I work, no one cares what I wear, so I figured it really doesn't matter!

      Delete
  5. Both tops looks great on you! Online ordering is really comfy, but when things doesn't fit, the process could be a bit overwhelming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, FS! It's a bit of a gamble.
      I love ordering from Net-a-Porter, as their returns are free and so easy.
      JC isn't as simple....

      Delete
  6. I love that keyhole top on you too!!! And, like Cate, I love it with the Gardenshade skirt. And, the Everlane top is super cute too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first noticed your arms...you have been whipping them into shape. The tops look lovely but it is amazing how spring seems to bring out the "glow" in people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I've always had very strong arms - years of yoga and carrying children!!

      I love Spring, although not the accompanying hayfever!

      Delete
  8. I love how JC colors from different releases match up perfectly. The top is great w/the skirt. Both bouses look good on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Gigi, JC colours are fantastically easy to match with each other - I love this!

      Delete
  9. Both tops look great on you! I have yet to buy anything from Everlane but have heard great things about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, I'm really impressed with Everlane. I just wish they'd hurry up and ship to Australia so that I don't have to stalk Ebay or pay a fortune for parcel forwarding!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for being an enabling friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and can you say a bit more about sizing on the Everlane silk shirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AB, glad to assist in enabling ;-)

      I think that the size guide on their website is quite accurate.
      I got an XS, and it fits me well. I'm 5'2", about 110lbs or so and have quite broad shoulders and an ample chest (am a 28DD bra!)!!
      I usually wear a P00 in J Crew, although have bought a P0 in their blouses to allow for more room for my bust!

      The XS fits fine across the shoulders and isn't too big. The sleeves are a good length too.
      I could probably go down a size if xxs existed, but it doesn't, so am quite happy with this one!

      Delete
    2. OOps I meant 100 lbs... 45kg anyway, whatever that is in pounds.

      Delete
  12. I don't like Zara gear either, it is the wrong shape for me and low in quality.

    Silk lined with Polyester? Boo indeed.

    ReplyDelete