Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sort of 'off grid'

Apologies for my absence and lack of comments and visits in the world of blog.
We escaped for a 5 day break at the beach.

Although there is Internet access at our friends' house, I decided to have a bit of a break from screens and see if I could go sort of 'off grid'
Of course, I didn't really go off grid at all.... 
But I did cook, eat and and drink a lot!

salmon pasta


We went on lots of long walks and perved attractive beach houses. I love the one above. 
I wish I could go and have a good look inside it....

D, aged 8, made this cake almost all by himself:

It was very delicious indeed!

J and G (the older boys in the house) enjoyed manly pursuits such as chopping wood and behaving like pyromaniacs.

I had to hide the axe (named 'the Pope') under the bed after a certain number of beers had been consumed, for OH&S purposes.


I'm pleased to say that there were no injuries.
Dinner was cooked over a home made Hibachi:


The fruits of the boys' chopping labour:

The fire and the hibachi:


I actually went swimming! The weather was a warm 27 degrees, so I braved the surf for about 1 minute! 
The water was freezing!!



Sadly, we're now back home and I'm back at work. J and the kids are on hols for another 10 days and I am not a little jealous....

Hope you had a good weekend.
Any adventures or travels?

19 comments:

  1. Lucky you to not have to travel far for a holiday! That axe looks quite scary even sober...good to go off grid though i cant last longer than a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to just drive for 3 hours or so.
      The axe was very sharp indeed and I was extremely worried about its use post-booze!
      I quite enjoy being sort of semi off grid, although if I really didn't have access to the internet I'd be a bit panicked!

      Delete
  2. No adventures here - yours looks absolutely lovely. You are brave to post pics in a bikini (although you look amazing). I posted pics on the weekend of my bikini, without me actually in it. Food looks good and there's nothing better than a bit of pyromania to keep the boys happy. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am off to hunt down your bikini post!
      I figure I don't have that many bikini-wearing years left in me, so I'm making the most of it now!
      Boys so love pyromania, don't they?

      Delete
  3. Oh looks like you had your own cabin in the woods, too! Just lovely! Yes - boys do love to make a fire!!! The berries look yummy! 27! it is 8 and rainy and still dark this morning at 7 am! Going to be a long few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8 degrees! Oh dear! You better buy some warm woollens!
      Boys do love fire, don't they?

      Delete
  4. That place looks gorgeous! I hope you had a relaxing getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AB, it was lovely. Wish it had been for longer, though!

      Delete
  5. Many more years in a bikini...look at Helen Mirren. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Helen Mirren can still rock a bikini! It's all about the confidence, I reckon...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that my ankle works and that my body is strong and functional! I wasted a lot of time in my early 20s policing my body and worrying about its size and shape. Now I'm just trying to enjoy it and make the most of my middle years!

      Delete
  7. That axe reminds me that we used to use a hatchet to open bottles of champagne, have you ever heard of that? It shears the glass bottle neck off cleanly. I'm sure I'd already been drinking when I learned that trick. Oddly, there were no boys involved in this. Boys do like their fires though. Glad you had a nice trip, it looks so relaxing and it sounds like you had an awesome time! It's just getting cold here and I'm contemplating turning on the heat soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snort! I'm glad the boys didn't think of using the axe to open bottles!! It sounds very dramatic and not a little dangerous!

      Delete
  8. You look great in a bikini and are so brave to post it:)
    Nice vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina! I'm not brave, just finally comfortable in my own skin. I hope it lasts!!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely little hols! Just the sort of long weekend I feel like just now.
    I would hide the axe all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no axes in our city house, thank god!

      Delete
  10. Looked like a great trip - I was keeping up on instagram! And wow what a figure you have - you definitely have a good few bikini years left in you!! ps. D's cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete