Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A photo shoot!

As you may know, I seem buy a lot of my clothes online from the US or Europe, probably because the choice and range of sizes in Australia isn't particularly good. In fact, that's not quite true. There are plenty of fantastic labels here in Aus, but a lot of them are not the right size or too youthful/bodycon for me.

Because I'm petite, I'm sized out of a lot of basics I would otherwise love to buy, hence my love of J Crew, with their petite size range and reasonable prices for basics, not to mention their quirky prints and colours.

However, there are a few places locally that I shop at. One of these places is a small boutique near my house called 'Pretty Dog'. It is owned by the most fantastic girl called Tanya, who has a great eye for both new and established clothing labels, and buys some fab pieces from both Aus and International labels.
Over the years I've bought some fantastic pieces from Pretty Dog, some of which are now in a box waiting for M (daughter) to wear when she's a bit older. Other pieces I wear regularly, such as Karen Walker suiting and cashmere knits from local Australian companies.

Tanya puts out a regular newsletter featuring her regular customers modelling recent pieces from the shop, and last week she asked me to model.

I was thrilled to be asked, and had a really great time playing 'dress-ups'. It was lots of fun wearing items I wouldn't normally try on, and also to add accessories to them.

Here are some of the pics Tanya took - she was a very patient photographer, as I'm really not a natural in front of the camera at all - I found it really hard to relax and smile in a genuine way!!


Gary Bigeni Burr dress, Loeffler Randall shoes and Lyn & Tony clutch.

I love this dress very much - it fits very well and is a lovely thick stretch poplin.


I would never normally wear animal print, so it was fun to try out the shoes and bag. If I had a massive clothing budget I might even get this clutch!


House of Holland dress, Pam booties and Jerome Dreyfuss bag.
This is way too youthful for me, but I love the colours and the fit of the dress.


Sretsis dress, Loeffler Randall shoes.

Again, way too girly for me, but fun to try!


Here's a link to the finished shoot, with several more outfits.

My cold is finally on the wane - I'd forgotten how miserable colds are.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 38 degrees C in Sydney. Mad weather for Spring, as it doesn't usually get over 30 degrees 'til Jan or Feb.

Thanks for reading and hope you're well.




31 comments:

  1. You look so great Ruth! I love that first outfit too... it must've been very hard to try on all the lovely bits and pieces and then have to leave them behind. You will sell a lot of their stock I'm sure when the newsletter goes out!
    Glad your cold is on the mend. Got my JCrew schoolboy blazer yesterday - God those buttons are the pits! I remembered when I examined it that you'd replaced yours, and think I'll be doing the same - they look so cheap. I've usually taken a 2 in their tops as I have broad shoulders, but the 2 in the jacket is reasonably generous... think their vanity sizing is sending me into 0 territory. The stripy top with jeweled neckline is lovely, more a cream/ blue than white/blue, but nice thick fabric. Shall wear and put on the blog this weekend when the temps drop... it's 34 here today. Crazy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I should also say, that a good local boutique that stocks interesting smaller labels is always going to do well. I had one in melbourne that I loved, and the owner was so good at getting me to buy all sorts of things, mainly because she was passionate about what she did, had a knack and knew the stock so well - and I loved and still wear many of those bits and pieces. The'll win out over the internet any day.

      Delete
  2. You look awesome in all of them, but really particularly the first dress -- I'm not sure I could resist buying it if I looked like that! Was it hard to walk away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monty, thanks for visiting and commenting! It was very hard to walk away... in fact J, my husband, went back and put it on hold for me!! He loves it very much, so I guess it will be mine!
      I will pick it up in a week or so, when I've got the $$$!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Heidi, the pics were taken the day before my cold started, so I'm glad I don't look too red-nosed!
    You're right about small local retailers. I only buy from a handful of shops in Sydney, but all of them are small and know me well - this can be both a good and a bad thing... Bad for finances!
    God I totally forgot the dreaders J Crew buttons! Sorry I forgot to remind you, but it is quite a cheap job to change them. I think it cost me about $40 for buttons and sewing, and I'm sure I could have spent less.
    I wonder if the super expensive cashmere version would have those awful buttons? I really hope not.....
    Looking forward to seeing some pics. The jewelled necklace tee sounds lovely - hope it cools down so you can wear it! It's going to be 38 here tomorrow, allegedly. Weather's gone bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look lovely as ever. I do agree with the first dress...good husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing and love your hair and outfits!! I am partial to the first and second dress and to be honest i don't like foxes. Too many where I presently am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of foxes either, and I wouldn't have chosen that dress, but it was a cute style on.

      Delete
  6. Wolf whistling! You look stunning and I like each of the looks for different reasons.
    I cannot find clothes for mum anymore, she is down to rags,old age has now taken her from being petite to being knee high to a grasshopper, jumpers look like knee length dresses on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabs!! It's amazing what a good photographer can do! I dread old age for that reason. I will be sooo short once I start shrinking!

      Delete
  7. You have made my day! You look so pretty and I think it is fun to see you in different styles and I do love that leopard on you! I am glad she noticed how beautiful you are to make you her model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much Wendy!! She has so many beautiful women shopping at her store (including quite a few models) that I was very chuffed to be asked!

      Delete
  8. You look great Ruth! The ruffled hair suits you :) Great to see you being photographed also :) Shift dresses really suit you coz of your tiny frame. I love House of Holland and that dress is something I'd wear. The brand does make youthful girly stuff though. They have a diffusion line called H by House of Holland. Got some summer dresses from them. Anyway, you're looking realyl good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'd come straight from a conference and it was a very windy day, so I arrived feeling super flustered and undone. It's surprising what some bright lipstick and good lighting can do.
      I love House of Holland prints, but I do feel that his stuff is a bit too young for my personal comfort!!

      Delete
  9. That looks like a ton of fun! I love the shoes in the last outit:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes were surprisingly comfy! I'm sort of rubbish with heels, but those ones felt quite sturdy, perhaps because of the ankle strap tethering them on.

      Delete
  10. You look amazing Ruth. Perhaps the start of a ne career? Gorgeous clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I wouldn't hold your breath. I doubt there's a massive market for short 45 year olds!!

      Delete
  11. Love,love you in the first dress!
    Youre husband is a wise man to put it on hold for you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is indeed! I'm very grateful for his wisdom ;-)

      Delete
  12. oh how cool, what a lovely opportunity! All these outfits are gorgeous, but that stunning Burr dress has got to be my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! It was fun to do!

      PS, your hair is so glossy in that pic!! AMAziNG!

      Delete
  13. I LOVE the first dress, so glad it will be yours! What a great husband! I think he should get you the leopard clutch too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ema! I will drop some hints about the clutch too, although he doesn't like leopard print.
      I'm so thrilled that you commented on my blog as I love yours!

      Delete
  14. Glad to hear you will have that great dress and also considering animal print accessories, it's a fun touch.

    You are smoking, ruth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TR! I am literally smoking today - it's boiling here!

      Delete
  15. Love the first dress and leopard accessories. Also really like the orange colour of the last fox dress on you (not mad about the fox but the colour is great). You are the perfect model - you look fab!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ?Carla! I'm not so keen on foxy either, but the orange did look quite good. It's not a colour I'd usually choose.

      Delete