Thursday, October 24, 2013

Bright colours and the leopard crisis continues

After a super hot week with raging fires and smoke, the weather seems to have cooled down. The fires are still burning, and many people have lost their homes, but only one person has died, so far. A pilot flying one of the planes that dumps water on bushfires crashed and was killed. So awful.

At work it's been busy, and to lift my spirits I wore my new spotty blouse (especially for Naomi, who advised me not to buy it!!)
It is a very statementy blouse, but I think it will get a lot of wear. I've worn it twice this week, once to work and on another night out for dinner with navy blue pants and cobalt heels.


Blouse, Gary Bigeni. Cardigan and skirt, J Crew. Sandals, L'Autre Chose


Another day, another bright colour:


Embarrassingly enough, I think the entire outfit above is J Crew, apart from the shoes!


And yesterday, J Crew Monarch skirt, Wolford top, J Crew Jackie cardigan and APC sandals.


This week there were also new arrivals on the J Crew website. I wasn't so excited by anything, really, apart from a couple of very wintery coats that I have no need of at all.
The one thing that did catch my eye is this bag:
It's called the 'Hughes' suede satchel.
I really like the origami style, and I quote from the website:
'Our designer literally made her own origami—Japanese paper-folding art—to create this satchel. Its complicated construction is based on the traditional Japanese "water balloon" pattern (named for its ability to hold water)'


It also comes in leather, in three colours
I really like the look of this bag. If any of you see it irl, I'd love to hear your reports. I absolutely don't need a new bag at all, but it is something to ponder... I am a sucker for navy suede.

While we're on the subject of things I want but don't need, my leopard shoe purchase has sparked a bit of an interest in all things leopard. I've been thinking a leopard belt or cardigan might be a good idea.
J Crew printed calf hair belt

I found this belt on the J Crew website in the sale section. It's still quite $$ though. Any reviews on this? have you tried this belt or seen it?
What do you reckon - worth the $$ or not?

This weekend we've got a friend's Pirate themed 50th birthday party. I am not so fond of costume parties, but will try to make an effort. I'm thinking of wearing some black pants and a striped top with a bandana and an eye patch…..

Have a great weekend wherever you are!


23 comments:

  1. Ahoy Matey!! I love a pirate theme! Oh what the hell - I love any themed party! I will fly over and go with you!

    Love the circles top - it is so you! And you know I am crazy about that satchel as well!!!

    You need the Jerry Seinfeld puffy shirt for the pirate party! I had one in 1982 which I wish I still had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up enjoying the whole themed party thing! Will post pics soon - I remember those puffy shirts well!
      I'm hoping someone will do a review of that satchel. It is lovely looking, but I really don't need a new bag.... Or anything else for that matter!

      Delete
  2. We have Halloween party to attend and I have no idea what I'm going to be. I am passed the slutty kitty, the slutty vampire, the slutty nurse, etc. you look marvelous by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, BB. I'm very over the 'slutty' costume look, in fact I don't think I ever pulled it off that well. I went as a very androgynous Pirate last night, and apart from a shocking hangover this morning, it was great!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ruth, I'm the Anon from WA from your last post. I bought the leopard print belt at J.Crew last month when I was in Hawaii, 25% off so I didn't pay full price. I love it! I haven't found anything like that at the usual suspects here (CR, Witchery etc) so I snapped it up along with a skinny tan belt which I've had Buckley's finding here also (that was the least amount of my haul but I won't bore you with that). Cheers, Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! Thanks for the recs for belts. You're so right that there is really nothing like J Crew here. I had a quick look in Witchery the other day and it's all over-priced yucky fabrics and horrid styling (for me, anyway).
      The belts were not great at all, and $60 or so for cheap and nasty ones.
      I'll talk the plunge, I think!

      Delete
    2. PS, would love to hear about your haul!

      Delete
    3. I first fell in love with JCrew eight years after my first trip to the US and haven't been back until last month. I bought a stack of Tippi sweaters, lots of boy shirts with polka dots which have been perfect for layering. Lots of chino shorts which were all on sale, leopard print and tan skinny belts. Ballet flats in various colours. I bought the very last medium Horsing Around sweatshirt on NAP when I got home, oh and I bought the tulip embroidered sweat also. But my most favourite thing has been the a western chambray shirt (available on NAP too) a thicker shirt than the boy shirts but oh so flattering and perfect for spring here,and lots of V neck tees in vintage cotton. The only thing that didn't really float my boat were the pants. I like a really skinny leg but even the toothpick style had extra fabric around my calf and ankle. Just picked up a basic round neck long sleeve tee in the sale. I dithered about the Swiss dot tuxedo shirt in white and now it's sold out! :cry:

      Delete
  4. Ruth I am loving your outfits! Okay the leopard calf-hair belts from JCrew: I have two, the wider and the skinny one. They are gorgeous belts and I have worn them more than any others I own. I recommend. I've had mine for some time so I don't remember what I paid for them but I've been pleased with them as the quality is terrific.
    Hoping and praying the fires will end and so sad about the death of that fire-fighter pilot, what a hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dani! Ok, I'm sold on the J Crew belt. I think I'll get the wider one, as I wear wonder belts more often than skinny.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous outfits! I love the spotted top, so cheerful! I agree with Dani, the J. Crew leopard belts are excellent. I am not sure if they have changed their production with the current ones, but the ones I have are made in the US and very good quality. I am also eyeing the Hughes satchel. I like the origami detail and the metal bar at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Three votes in favour of the belt is good enough for me!
      I'm very intrigues by the Hughes satchel. Will await reviews, I think.

      Delete
  6. You look gorgeous, and I love the way you styled your new top. You look great in all these bright colors! Now ths leopard thing is getting out of control ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Next thing you know I'll be buying leopard print pants!

      Delete
  7. Ok I was wrong it really suits you and it shows I am way too pragmatic!! ;p

    I do hope you get lots of wear out of it, you can show me the various ways it looks good.

    Glad it is getting better but so sad anyone had to die for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pragmatic is a good thing, I reckon. It's very much a statement, but I do hope it will get worn enough to make it a successful buy. I am a sucker for bright prints.

      Delete
  8. Everything above looks good, but I *really* like the fully-black and red outfit -- it looks so sleek and cool without somehow seeming too matchy matchy. It makes me want to check out my own closet and see what I might come up with along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty! It was a very simple, dark outfit, with the bright red added as an afterthought.

      Delete
  9. The top has a scarf print look so you look like you turned a 90cm scarf into a top which is really cool. I love it on you, especially paired with green cardi and purple skirt which not a lot of people can pull off. It's a fun outfit and break from neutrals! Have a lovely weekend Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely words! I'm sure I wouldn't attempt all those colours together if I were still living in the UK! The light and climate here does encourage adventurousness with colour, at least for me!

      Delete