Sunday, November 17, 2013

Birthdays, rain and gluttony

Sydney is suffering from very heavy rain at the moment, which is great for the land and water supply, but pretty gloomy for human residents. 
This weekend was J's 48th birthday, plus another friend's birthday, so there was a fair amount of feasting and debauching.
J's presents from us:


Books, chocolate and a Moleskine diary. He was very pleased.
As an Austrian, he's also partial to a slice of Torte:


Austrian coffee cake. The cake is soaked in espresso and brandy, then covered in fresh cream and almonds.
The children couldn't have it due to the high booze content, so they demolished this:


Eton Mess

Here are a few outfits from last week, lots of cardigan action due to the rather chilly weather.
I'm sure I've posted pics of the first outfit lots of times already. I'm a serious outfit-repeater......


J Crew cardigan, gardenshade skirt and APC sandals. J crew cardigan, Romance was Born top and Nudie jeans.

J opening his presents:


We're super busy with end of school year/semester/stuff. 
And yet more birthday parties.....

Did you have a good weekend? Do you have lots of parties in the coming silly season? I love them, but do end up feeling a bit exhausted by it all.
Come January I'll be hanging my liver out to dry......

16 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to him! Love a Austrian cake and eton mess so you did very well! The weather has been fabulous albeit cold but sun is out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah for the sun! Crazy weather here.... a mini typhoon took off the roof of a cinema in Sydney yesterday!
      I'm very partial to almost any type of cake...

      Delete
  2. It is raining here this morning, so I hear you! we had a lovely weekend - even though it was barry's b'day, we decided to be reserved, which was good! yay for j!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say 'reserved' do you mean full of virtue and sobriety ;-)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely weekend! My husband is also Austrian, but is rather partial to Himbeer-Torte :) I am also a total outfit repeater -- if it looks great, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himbeer-Torte.... yum! I think he would almost have preferred that, but rapsberries cost a bomb here - we always buy frozen - and that wouldn't be quite the same!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to J!
    All the food looks delish:). The crazyness of the holidays already started at our house,i have invitations piled up already. I enjoy the holidays,but it sometimes overwhelms me too.
    Love your outfits,i am a serial repeater too! It is just so easier to wear what works,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be overwhelming, can't it. I keep thinking it's because I'm getting old ;-)
      I don't care in the slightest about outfit-repeating, but posting pics on a blog makes one more aware of it!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to J! Haven't had coffee cake, but thought it's a great idea--you get to have coffee and cake all at once. Thanks again Ruth for the link to your friend's ode to the Fernsehturm, great to know that I'm not alone. Hahaha. I appreciated the tower even more because it was highlighted in so many different angles at different times and seasons. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M! I'm glad you enjoyed his photos. He's a fab photographer, I think, although I could be biased a touch as he's a friend.
      Off to read your next adventure in Berlin on your blog!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to J! Both deserts look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. High marks for b-day revelry & outfits. When I was that young boy's age (next to J) I would also frequently have a similar bed head & my otherwise gentle, loving Mum would rake her wet brush across my cow-lick infested mane to make me at least semi-presentable before shooing me out to the bus stop. To this day, I can' t look at a woman's hair brush without flinching. Does that boy have to endure similar agonies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! D (aged 8) doesn't really have to endure much hair faffage, as we are very lazy with hair. The only time it gets brushed or combed is when he has visitors (nits) - then it's a necessity.
      Up until recently his hair was quite long and curly.... I much preferred it, but it was a nightmare with nits.
      I share your horror of hairbrushes. Terrible things!

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday to J! That cake looks delish. I think I'm getting tipsy just looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember last weekend, they always go by too fast. I can't wait for next weekend, feeling exhausted already and it's only Tuesday.

    Happy birthday to J! Would he share, that is my kind of cake!

    ReplyDelete