Sunday, November 24, 2013

Melbourne

Excuse my absence over the past week. We have been away on a trip to Melbourne to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.
It was such a fantastic luxury to go away without the kids for 3 whole nights. Even though we manage plenty of nights out, we rarely go away for any length of time. 
As it was a fairly big milestone, we splurged on a posh hotel, recommended by Heidi, from Adelaide Villa:


The Lyall Hotel, South Yarra.
It was a fabulous hotel, and as it was our anniversary, they upgraded our room to a huge super deluxe suite, which was almost as big as our house!

(Thanks so much for recommending this place Heidi - we LOVED it!)
There's a spa in the hotel, so I booked a full body exfoliation/wrap and a facial for the afternoon of our arrival. I don't have much experience with spa treatments, in fact this was my first trip to a spa, but it was utterly heavenly.  3 hours of total relaxation and divine scents. My skin felt ridiculously soft afterwards.


After my body resurfacing, J and I tarted ourselves up and had an aperitif outside the hotel.


Then on to dinner at a local Italian Restaurant, Caffe e Cucina, also recommended by Heidi.
Delicious food in a very welcoming and unpretentious venue. 
We had a lot of food and wine, then schlepped back to our hotel via the scenic route:


The blurry and slightly yellow pic sums up how I felt the following morning!!!
Altogether a great night out and start to our long weekend.

.......more to come later

28 comments:

  1. Congrats on your annivery!
    It looks like you had a good time andi am super jealous about going to the spa:)
    I cant wait to hear about the other days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina! The spa was such a treat - 4 days later my skin still feels very soft!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So glad you had a great time, and so glad my recs worked out (I always get worried that they won't!) The spa sounds very nice and a perfect start to the weekend. Can't wait for the rest of the recap xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, it was so good! They put us in the Grand Suite - 75 sq m of total indulgence, with a spa bath too! The whole experience was just so relaxing and perfect. I would definitely stay there again... Although that sort of trip isn't really in our regular budget!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your 20th anniversary - my, you got married very young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patricia! Yes, I was a child bride ;-)
      But seriously, we aren't very young... Just smoke and mirrors!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your anniversary! Looks like you had an amazing time! Very envious of your 3 kid-free days, it's been more than a year since I had a break like that. You are positively glowing in these photos. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was so well-needed, that break! J and I have had a grand total of 6 days away in the past 12 years, so it really was long overdue to have a bit of time alone!
      Perhaps you could try to get some time away soon? It's very rejuvenating. The days just seem to stretch out for such a great amount of time when there's nobody to look after!

      Delete
  5. Congrats, you must have been a child bride to be celebrating your 20th. Looks like a lovely and well deserved mini vacation. Did your mid-life crisis (just kidding, they're not) shoes get any play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, a child-bride, that's me ;-)
      The MLC shoes did get a bit of action, but it was raining on and off, so I mainly wore runners... Plus we walked about 15km a day!

      Delete
  6. oh so glad you enjoyed melb.
    did you buy anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it - I so love going to Melbs!
      I didn't buy anything, but J might have bought me something!

      Delete
  7. Congrats Ruth! 20 is a big deal! You and your husband look tres chic and I am so glad you had a treat off together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big deal, isn't it? I can't believe it's been that long.... In fact we have been together on and off since 1988!

      Delete
  8. Comgrats on this huge milestone! You look beautiful! I'm so glad you got a chance to get away for a spa/ relaxing weekend, so deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, AB! It was a very rejuvenating trip! I feel so much more full of patience with the kids since my return. Amazing what a break can do!

      Delete
  9. Well congrats to you and yours. Six days in twelve years?! I do hope the mister knew what to do with you :). You two need to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee! We've been away and out a lot, but with most relatives in another continent, it's hard to find people to look after the kids if we go away... I'm sure it'll get easier as they get older!

      Delete
  10. Good for you! and what a delightful way to celebrate...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats and you both look so dapper and glowing! Caffe e Cucina is fab and an institution now. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caffe e Cucina was great, really low key and great food!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! I am glad that you had a fabulous time😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary - you two look fantastic all dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, it was fun to tart up!

      Delete
  14. Marraige sure looks good on you; especially with that green & blue outfit. Congratulations to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you v much! The excess of digestivo and other victuals made me feel rather bilious the following morning!

      Delete