Monday, November 25, 2013

More Melbourne

Part two of our Melbourne long weekend. In the style of true gluttons, we planned our days around food and bars that we wanted to visit, and coupled hedonism with lots of long walks.

On Friday morning, the weather was a bit cloudy and cold, but seemed perfect for a longish walk. We had a long and delicious breakfast in front of the fire in the hotel library:


Mid-life crisis shoes got an outing, but only inside: Melbourne weather was too capricious for their outside use.

The sort of breakfast we would never have at home: French toast, bacon and OJ for me, just about everything possible for J. We had massive plates of fruit, too. I managed to refrain from having a Bloody Mary, but only just.


After such gluttony, we then walked lumbered through the Botanic Gardens to the city.
Melbourne's Botanic Gardens are far bigger and more impressive than Sydney's, with lots of amazing areas and different parts to explore.
We spent a fair bit of time exploring, but then felt the need for lunch.

Don't these succulents remind you of delicious salad leaves?

We had lunch at Canteen, which is a cafe on Flinders Lane in Melbourne that has a very simple menu of a few dishes. We both had Lamb Tagine with couscous and some Pinot Grigio.
This is the interior. I love the old school chairs and tables:

I was feeling a little worse for wear, but the wine helped.



The rest of the day was spent meandering up and down the various streets and lanes of Melbourne's CBD. Lots of looking, but no shopping!
We went to a place called Ginger Boy for dinner, but we only took a couple of photos, so you'll have to take my word for it that the food was delicious Asian hawker-style food. My only gripe would be that it was rather cold and stark inside... not the most comfortable or welcoming of places.
Pulled pork dish that we inhaled in about 30 seconds flat

Saturday:
A chilly day, so we set off for a walk around Armadale. I'd never been here before, but it's a charming area with a lot of nice shops and cafes. We walked around some of the residential streets perving houses and gardens, then had a snack in one of the many cafes


Plus a bit of a shop.....


Anniversary present from J. Can you guess what it is??


The weather in Melbourne is almost British in its ability to change seasons by the minute.
It was cold.... then sunny and warmer.... then cold and drizzly.

We decided to head to Fitzroy for lunch and more walking.

Part 3 to follow. Hope you're not getting sick of it!






14 comments:

  1. I love and miss Melbourne so bring it on! Looks like you had a proper gourmet time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Melbs too. I reckon we may have chosen it over Sydney if we'd moved there first and all our friends had lived there.... We did indulge
      A Lot!

      Delete
  2. Doesn't everybody plan their vacation days around the food? I see the MLC shoes and love your sneaks coordinating with your scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people do, but I have heard of people who don't....!! Shocking behaviour!

      Delete
  3. I love the mlc shoes getting some play! this looks like a phenomenal trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the beauties in that bag!
    Sounds like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, okay, in the bag is it an all leather leopard jumpsuit?! So excited. Seriously, you two look like you are relaxed and happy. I will be sending my folks your way in January 2015. They have signed up for a cruise around Australia and New Zealand. Oh to be retired...just not old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you guess?!
      A cruise will be fab (although my idea of hell - don't like boats!)
      I wish I was a laydee of leisure...

      Delete
  6. This looks like a wonderful holiday, MrBP and I approach things the same way! I can't wait for part 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! Part three soon - crazy busy times at the moment!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a wonderful vacation. I always enjoy walking extensively while on holiday because we like to eat too! I want to know what's in that bag. I love Acne, wish we had a shop here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acne is fantastic - there are a couple of shops in Sydney, but this one in Melbourne was much bigger!
      Thanks for visiting and commenting :-)

      Delete