Sunday, December 1, 2013

Yet more Melbourne

Saturday afternoon was spent in Fitzroy and Collingwood, suburbs of Melbourne that we like very much.
Smith Street in Collingwood has a heap of great restaurants and cafes, and as it was very cold and drizzly, we felt like Ramen:


Shop Ramen is a pretty amazing place. They only sell ramen, and it's all made on the premises. After fortification, we went for a walk around the area, and found some fabulous houses:


I really, really want the one above!


Walking is thirsty work, so a fortifying rose was called for.


Dinner was at the Builder's Arms on Gertrude Street. I love this pub, and the bistro food is fabulous. It was also great for people watching. J and I amused ourselves trying to work out the relationships and stories of the people on neighbouring tables. At the table adjacent to us was a very well-heeled couple with 2 teenagers and a younger girl. We were fascinated by the dynamics: the adults seemed to be in some kind of slightly tense stand-off, and we couldn't work out whether the girl and boy teenagers were siblings or not. They were very affectionate to each other, so we're hoping they weren't siblings.
The younger girl was so cute and well-behaved in the midst of the strange behaviour of the other four. Fascinating stuff!


And here's the contents of the Acne shopping bag. A petrol blue clutch bag!
Excuse the awful smug face!


We were very slack at taking photos of our food, but here's a pic of the delicious desert: lots of chocolate and salted walnuts! 


Waiting for the tram


The following morning we walked to Prahran Markets and drooled over the produce. I wish we had a market like this near our house in Sydney.


Then we went into the city for a final coffee at Journal and some lunch.


New anniversary clutch!


Then it was farewell to our Grand Suite and its massive bathroom (almost the size of our house) and a short flight back to sunny Sydney.

Altogether an utterly amazing long weekend. 

Now it's back to crazy end of year stuff and the silly season is in full swing.
I hope you've had a good start to the festive season wherever you are!






35 comments:

  1. Love,love the clutch and am so yealous!
    My day was spent in bed with a cold,after it went through from one kid to another and now to me:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor you, Ina! I hope you're feeling better soon!
      The clutch is a great present... I'm very pleased!

      Delete
  2. I love ramen - and is it weird that I love looking at pics of delicious ramen combos? I know, that'd my really random comment for this Sunday ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ramen too, and I welcome your randomness!

      Delete
  3. Awesome clutch in an amazing color, what a wonderful gift. Acne is quite unique, they definitely blaze their own trail. I really love the quality materials and construction. Hope you are happy to be back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xoxo! I love acne - the clothes are often too big on my short frame, but I have a lot of success with their footwear, jeans and accessories.
      J & I often joke that if we lived in a colder climate we'd be total acne tragics, as he loves their suiting and coats so much!

      Delete
  4. Damn, I guessed wrong again. Was the snug look directed at me? The clutch is lovely…good job. So glad you and J had a wonderful, romantic trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, BB - I did look for a leopard body suit or onesie, but no luck ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love the clutch - what a great souvenir/ anniversary pressie! Loved the recap of the Melb. trip - so glad you had a great time. I think the North side has very interesting people watching, it's so funny how people dining around you can stick in your mind so well too! We always do the same when we're out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi, for you great recommendations. We had a fab time. The dinners and people watching were great.

      Delete
  6. people watching is fascinating, isn't it?
    glad you enjoyed melbs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is! I LOVE Melbs, although the weather was shit!

      Delete
  7. Love that bathroom - ok, that's my random reaction. Oh, and you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. The bathroom was massive and gave me a bad case of bathroom dissatisfaction upon returning home.

      Delete
  8. Love the blue clutch, what a fabulous gift! The ramen dish looks so delicious. I also love ramen. We are lucky to have some fantastic authentic ramen restaurants in Toronto and I always go whenever I have the chance. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! Does Toronto have a lot of Japanese residents?

      Delete
    2. Toronto has a small Japanese community but Japanese food is really popular here.

      Delete
  9. You must love that clutch, you have the same expression each time you hold it. It's lovely and a wonderful anniversary gift for you.

    Here's what I think happening at the adjacent table ... the couple was having dinner with their daughters and meeting the boyfriend, maybe not so much to the liking of likely the father, of the older daughter for the first time.

    I really, really want that ramen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Smug clutch face!
      I like your family scenario - that could well have been th case, but I sensed a bigger issue between the man and woman! Perhaps they weren't the parents, or were estranged.... Fascinating stuff!

      Delete
  10. Love that you had such a good time and the clutch is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! it was a great time!

      Delete
  11. The new clutch does get lots of exposure. Well done! Haha. I chuckled when you asked to excuse the smug face. Hahaha. Always great to be away on your own without the kids (well, at least that's what my sister tells me). Happy anniversary again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! the clutch has had a lot of trips out recently, it being the silly season here!

      Delete
  12. I just love being out at a bustling spot and giving my tablemates a reading on the surrounding tables. The most fun are the "first date lunches" as both parties are eager to project best foot forward as one of the parties soon starts planning a clean getaway as they call for the check. That little "check please" gesture prompts thumb-biting giggles from my table as It coincides with my first read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First dates are a hoot to watch. I try not to eavesdrop, but it is just too hard not to!

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful clutch! Looks like you had an amazing time. The food looks soo good and you look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the clutch bag! Thanks for the great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose - it was a great time!

      Delete
  15. Love this post! I love everything and your clutch and stories which we do too...I love journal, many a time was spent there. Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Journal is such a great cafe. I always get a bit disgruntled when I return to Sydney. The cafes just can't compete.

      Delete
  16. I love people watching. Especially when the dynamics don't seem quite right. Speculating is such fun! Also, love your swish clutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People-watching is one of my favourite activities. It's such a treat to just sit, watch and speculate. Thank you for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  17. The clutch is beautiful. I have a few things from Acne - shoes and jeans, and they are great quality items. Great vacation photos, thanks for sharing your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acne items are very good quality - I just wish I was taller so I could wear their more sculptural items!
      It's always great to go to Acne in Denmark, as the girls are so statuesque and beautiful in their clothes!

      Delete