Monday, February 24, 2014

A week of goodbyes

This week is shaping up to be a bit of an over-emotional one. 
An old University friend has been staying with us - we hadn't seen him for over 20+ years, but the time melted away as soon as we met him again. It's amazing how some people feel just as close as they always have, despite decades of little contact. 
It was as if the past 24 years had disappeared and we were back in 1989 hanging out in our old flat. Anyway, he's now gone back to Thailand, so we're feeling a bit flat.

Even more awful is the fact that one of my bestest girlfriends and her family are moving overseas today for a year. The lead up has been very busy for them, as they've had to pack up two houses and get rid of a lot of stuff. I think we've all been in denial about how sad their departure will be. Their son is D's very close friend, and we spend a lot of time with them, so their move is going to be hard on everyone. We will visit them this year, finances permitting, but we're feeling pretty bereft.

The rest of the week will be an antidote to these events, I hope. I'm taking a couple of days off work to celebrate my birthday, and have a few events lined up, including a massage and dinner on Saturday with a bunch of friends in one of my favourite Sydney venues.
We will toast absent friends and be grateful that we will see them again soon.


Outfit yesterday: J Crew skirt, Jac & Jack cotton sweater, APC sandals, Cutler & Gross sunglasses and Coach bag


Gorgeous early birthday present from my divine friend C, who is off to live abroad for a year today!
I'll miss her lots and lots....
I'm not usually one to mope around feeling sad or sorry for myself, but for some reason I'm feeling particularly blah today.

How are you? How do you deal with friends moving away or other periods of blahness?


17 comments:

  1. Oh I miss friends when they are gone, too, so I feel your pain! The one thing that I console myself with is that they'll be back. You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Wendy. I think I'm sort of jealous too, that they're off on an adventure and we're not.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are able to go visit your friend this year - you'll have something to look forward to. Enjoy your birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will - it's only an 8 hour flight (not Europe!) so there's a good chance we will make it there.

      Delete
  3. I moved to the US from my native land, so I had to leave a lot behind and I can tell you that your friend is probably equally (if not more!) distraught over this whole ordeal. She is so lucky to have someone who mopes her absence, and even luckier that it is you, darling lady! Time goes by so fast, you are going to have her over for dinner parties in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they're a bit stressed, but not too distraught! I spent about 20 years of my life moving from country to country, so I know how hard it can be. I am a bit jealous...

      Delete
  4. H that's hard! I have friends overseas too and it does stink. No way of buttering it up...but there is email skype and your blog to stay in touch. But hope you have a fun birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Naomi. That's what comes of moving around a lot. I'd say that more than half of my very good friends live in different continents. Skype is a great means of staying in touch

      Delete
  5. When is your bday?
    Mine is on sat... Is yours then too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cilla - mine's tomorrow (27th!), but I'm celebrating on Saturday. Happy birthday to you for Sat xxx

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! I love your butterfly skirt :) I know how you feel about friends moving and great friends living overseas. One of my closest friends is based in California. Before catching up with her in 2010, I haven't seen her for at least 20 years. But I agree with you, there are those friendships that feel like home. Nothing changed, except we're older. Even when we occasionally speak on the phone (she's not very much on social networking), it's like we just saw each other yesterday. All of my closest live abroad, so it's not easy. Enjoy your birthday treat! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C&TT. It is hard when friends are scattered across the globe. I think it's inevitable these days... I know very few people who live in the place where they were born. I've lived in 8 different countries so far, and that means that there are friends from those places, not to mention the people who have moved away from those places.
      Those friendships that last through the years are very precious.
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Oh I love all my old friends, we're just guffawing like crazy as soon as we see each other. It sometimes makes me think - why in the heck am I living in another country. I love my new (decade old) friends here in California, but there is that instant recognition with the kiwi bunch. Reminds me I must get some decent candles, I always just stick with the Ikea vanilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard moving countries. Especially when your birth country is so far away. I love the fact that my UK old friends and I can just fit back into each others' lives so easily.
      I highly recommend posh scented candles. Diptyque are the best, although daftly $$$ here

      Delete
  8. I always like to tell people I'm close to "see you later" versus "goodbye" - I always want to leave it open that I'll be seeing them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of saying it!

      Delete
  9. LOVE IT ALL!
    Such a lovely post! ♥
    do u want to follow each other on Instagram?I'm @chicstreetchoc I'll follow u back for sure!!
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
    CHIC STREET CHOC

    ReplyDelete