Saturday, March 22, 2014

11 random things, etc

It's been another week of chaos and feeling as if I'm about to fall off the hamster wheel of life!

This week, D, my youngest child, turned 9.
He is a fan of Minecraft, so this was his cake. This will have no meaning at all to you if you don't mix with children under the age of about 17 - and I envy anyone who is blissfully ignorant of the Minecraft phenomenon.


Unfortunately, the day after D's birthday, both he and M came down with a vile gastric bug.
Not fun at all.
It wiped them both out for 2 days, and now my mother appears to have come down with the same thing.
Fingers crossed it doesn't get anyone else.


beautiful cupcakes, also decorated with a Minecraft theme.

I managed to get my hair cut. I haven't been to a hair salon since last November, so it was a bit ratty and unkempt.
Now it's smooth and almost long!
Don't be fooled by the smooth, shinyness. It'll back to its usual messy frizz once the hair salon magic has worn off. I can't dry or style my hair myself so it only looks like this if I outsource it!!



Anyway, the lovely Fred, from the blog the Whining diner and well-fed Fred has tagged me to post 11 random facts about myself.

I'm not sure if I can think of that many interesting things, but here goes:
  1. I am a very, very light sleeper and have to sleep with earplugs and an eye mask. Even with these, I still wake up at the slightest noise or light.
  2. I have hyper mobile joints and can put my legs behind my head. This doesn't really help me in any way at all, but comes in handy in yoga.
  3. The only talent I had at school was the ability to pick up languages very quickly. Sadly this has waned as I get older. I can still speak passable French, Russian and Japanese, but it's getting harder to learn new ones.
  4. I have a very fast metabolism and have to eat every 3 hours or so or I get very cross and shaky. I'd be useless in a famine.
  5. I've lived in 9 different countries, and would probably still be roaming the world if I hadn't had children. My gut reaction to any stress in my life is usually to run away, so moving countries was a way of getting away from any problems. 
  6. I came to Australia to recover from the Kobe Earthquake in 1995. I never planned to stay, but ended up moving back here permanently in 1999. If it hadn't been for that earthquake I don't think I'd have ever come here, so it just goes to show what amazing opportunities can come from traumatic experiences.
  7. I hate dairy products
  8. I love dark chocolate
  9. Like Fred, I had a stalker. I was in my 3rd year at university, and a French man who was staying near my parents whom I had chatted to for about 20 minutes a year previously started writing me obsessive letters (in the days before the internet and email!) He got my address from my parents by posing as my ex-boyfriend who was also French. I ignored the letters, which got more crazy, with threats of moving to the UK to be with me. One day, on my way back from a lecture, my house-mate met me on my way home and told me that there was a crazy French man with a knife who was threatening the neighbour. The police were called and he was arrested. Scary stuff, and made me rather suspicious of casual conversations with strangers for a while.
  10. I had a rather wild decade in my twenties and didn't sleep much, but managed to hold down a teaching job.
  11. I rather like spiders.
I'd pass this on to other bloggers, but I think that almost everyone that I read and visit has already been tagged! But, if you haven't been tagged, I pass this to Ina of Ina in Wonderland, Jody from About Last Weekend, Chinwags and Tittle-tattles, and Cilla from Cilosophy



Finally, a picture of the Boden skirt back from the tailor's. It's about 3cm shorter, which I think is an improvement.

I'd love to hear random facts about you, if you're willing to share!

26 comments:

  1. Minecraft!!! It's the pits. If I hear any conversation that starts with..... "this reminds me of this thing on Minecraft where...." I immediately go into sleep mode. It also ruined a Sunday morning sleep in a few weeks ago. The oldest (8 year old H) is allowed to play on the computer on Saturday and Sunday mornings (as he is the early riser in the family, it helps us to all sleep in). At 5.30am one Sunday morning he went into screaming hysterical sobbing - something was seriously wrong. I rushed to his bedroom, only to find out that he was upset because his Minecraft world was on fire - he had been playing with lava, and was unable to put it out. Woke the whole house up. Total Disaster! Those Minecraft handbooks make good presents for birthday parties though...
    Cannot believe you had a stalker!! Scary. Wish I had your metabolism though! Skirt looks good now - big improvement xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Heidi, I go into sleep mode too. D is obsessed with it! M also plays it, but I guess being a bit older has more interests at talk about. I can't bear it, but at the same time, it is a useful distraction. We've had some Major Minecraft Meltdowns in our house too, though thankfully never that early!
      My metabolism will surely slow down one of these days... Although my mother is still blessed with a fairly fast metabolism at the age of 76.
      The skirt is a great improvement

      Delete
  2. Love the skirt now Ruth and the hair!

    I always made my kids themed Birthday cakes so I can relate - I once made Hogwarts - not easy! Love your random facts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hogwarts would have been incredible!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ruth, Thanks, I will get onto it.
    No good about the stalker.
    I get hangry too, but I don't have your metabolism.
    Your hair looks good - have you got a hair straightener and some serum? I am sure you could get it into nearly that configuration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stackers are bloody scary - there is no logic nor rationality to stalking, which makes it a very unpredictable form of harassment.
      I do have a hair GBH thingy, but I hate using it, which is one of the reasons why I decided to grow my hair long, to avoid the silly hair torture!!

      Delete
  4. I have to look up minecraft,dont know what it is( dont laugh).
    Thanks for the tag,not sure i find so many fact about me,haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ina, you are very lucky to be ignorant of Minecraft! Perhaps your daughters will avoid it? M got into it around 8 months ago, and D followed very fast after....
      I'm sure there are heaps of interesting things you could share!

      Delete
  5. Your stalker was very scary and crazy! That would have left me jumpy for years. Minecraft has escaped us, my youngest is 11 and while she plays Sims and Angry Flapping Birds or whatever it's called she doesn't do Minecraft. My son who is now 21 did play Runescape for a solid year and then sold his character on ebay for $125, at age 11! Pretty funny hey!
    May the stomach plague pass you by. I'm also a light sleeper, eye mask and earplugs are a must. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to bypass minecraft! M also like the SIMS and that Flappy bird thing, but minecraft gets the most attention

      Delete
  6. I am fascinated that you can put your legs behind your head...and I'm not even a guy. When I see you, I'm going to make you do it. Love the fun facts. My roomie in college had a stalker, broke in and hovered over her one evening. She knew she was in trouble when he told her he loved her two weeks into dating. Once police became involved he got his head on straight and moved on to the next victim. The skirt now is worthy of being worn on your body. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snort! I shall perform for you!
      There are some seriously fucked up people in the world.... That stalker sounds chillingly scary! I tend to avoid overly friendly males these days, which is a shame, as I'm sure most of them are genuinely lovely people.

      Delete
  7. Wow, your hair is utterly gorgeous, is it lightly layered at the bottom?
    The garish cakes look delish.

    The stalker sounds horrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! Hair is thinned out a lot to get rid of volume, so there are a lot of layers. Possibly too many....
      Cakes were yummy, but I am totally caked out now, what with my birthday, then D's

      Delete
  8. How did those recruiters at Cirque de Soleil not give you an offer you couldn't refuse?
    Awful story on the stalker; let's hope he doesn't have internet access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They never discovered me! Such a shame!
      I really hope he never tracks me down again (the stalker)

      Delete
  9. ....oh the Boden skirt is more presentable now that is when you want to throttle down the heat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how lovely! Thanks for tagging me. I have some amazing similarities as you (except I'm twice as old) and could I use your superb photos too? Except have not had stalker, am huge and heavy sleeper, I could sleep all day and all night - and I like having huge meals but not snacks. In fact the travel thing seems to be only similarity when I think it through... (and wow to the leg thing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if you're twice as old! We're practically the same age and you are stunningly gorgeous! Heavy you are not!
      I wish I was good at sleeping.... But I've learnt to cope with my insomniac tendencies. I miss travelling.

      Delete
  11. Dear Ruth, fingers crossed no one else gets the tummy bug! I have no idea what Minecraft is, so there, you can be envious of me. Hahaha.I love your haircut :) And I'm glad to know more about you. It must have been terrifying to have a stalker. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'd love to have a bit of your hyper mobile talent. Could use that in some of gym classes. Thank you for tagging me. I'll post my 11 random facts soon, and may even make it 12 just because it's my birthday number. Have a good week x

    Marj

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the new hairdo. The Boden skirt looks quite nice since shortened. I'm not sure of the material but it looks like it could go into your winter with boots. Just don't try putting your feet over your head with it on and spliting it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You forgot number 12, perfect eyebrows ;) Enjoyed reading your random facts. You are right about (true) stalkers being very crazy and unpredictable. Glad you had a favorable outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Ruth, so many people who read my post have been stalked that it's making me really angry - but I love your collection of facts!

    ReplyDelete