Sunday, March 2, 2014

Birthday, self-gifting and gluttony

It's the end of a very bacchanalian few days. It was my birthday last Thursday, so the past 4 days have included a lot of cake, good food and fine wines.


Birthday cake made by my wonderful mother. D ate a very large amount of it, as did I. In fact, I've been eating it for breakfast most days.


Dinner at Osteria Russo & Russo on Thursday night. J and I went to our regular pilates class before dinner, so felt less guilty about the 6 courses we devoured.
I wore my new birthday present from J and the kids. It's s sweater with sparkles and stripes by Leon & Harper:


On Friday we had a bit of a break from gluttony, but on Saturday night, a group of us went out for dinner at Vini, a great little Italian place. I wore my Hervé Léger dress, and ole J Crew cardie, Mulberry pumps and Acne clutch.


My girlfriend A showed me how to do a posh bun arrangement. It is achieved by using and old sock as a bun-plumping device. I'm sure the whole world knew about this trick apart from me, but anyway, now I'm in the know, and have a plump bun 'do!


Dinner was fantastic. We booked the whole back room and gorged ourselves. Fine wines were also imbibed in fairly generous quantities.


Two of the boys taking some time out from eating:


Waiting for more food:


Altogether a fantastic birthday weekend. Lots of lovely friends, family, food and conversation.
Lovely gifts, too.

I may also have indulged in a little self-gifting.
Pics to follow soon.

Hope you had a lovely weekend with lots of good food and booze too!

27 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Ruth! Oh my goodness you look so good in that Herve Leger dress!! Stunning. Love all the cake + food + wine, sounds like a great few days of festivities.
    I'm fond of the sock bun myself, otherwise I get a very anaemic looking one instead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! I can't believe I'd never heard or known about sock buns before! BTW, I did a small boden order and am awaiting its arrival. Thanks for your reviews of boden on your blog - v helpful

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday ruth!
    Looks like you had some really good food and wine:)
    You look great in the Harve Leger dress,it is worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ina! Even though the HL dress is very bandage-like, it managed to stretch itself to accommodate a very big dinner!

      Delete
  3. All the best people are Pisceans.
    Happy birthday!
    cilla xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you too! Hope you had a good one!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday!! Looks like you have been having a wonderful time. You look gorgeous - the Herve Leger dress is perfect on you! Best wishes for the upcoming year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! It was a most enjoyable 4 days. I love the dress v much, pleased I managed to hunt it down.

      Delete
  5. What fun you've had, you looked beautiful in all of the pics.
    I love sock buns but now that I don't have a fringe I can't wear my up, it's too harsh a look at my age - I also now need long hair to hide my saggy jawline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabs! I am loving the sock bun - I'm sure you could still do the up-do? your jawline looks perfect to me!

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday, ruth! I think birthday cake is a must for breakfast!

    You look great in the navy dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. The birthday cake was delicious; it made a very good breakfast, but now it's all gone so I'm back to toast instead!

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a blast! I love the way you wore your Leger dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naomi. The dress worked well and expanded to fit the dinner!

      Delete
  8. The J- Crew cardi is a great pairing with the H-L and a belated happy b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Dollface! You're looking beautiful and I love the posh bun! What fun you had and the perfect way to celebrate your birthday... the HL dress looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll 2nd that on the posh bun.

      Delete
    2. Thanks both. The bun has become a daily 'do!
      I'm very pleased I've discovered a better way to tether my hair.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday! My husband also had BDay on Thursday ;-) It looks like you had a fantastic weekend of celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph, and happy belated birthday to your husband!

      Delete
  11. Oh Happy Birthday to you! You look fabulous in B-day sparkly cardy and your HL with cardy and superb with blue shoes! I have plenty of one socks around so must try that big bun thing - I used a hair piece once but the bun was so big it looked like another planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie. I've seen some pretty huge buns around the place, so I know what you mean.
      The beauty of using a sock is that it can be quite a slim bun!

      Delete
  12. Always late to the party. As always you look fab in your new sweater and the Hervé Léger dress with cardi. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Birthdays suit you, you're looking more beautiful than ever! I like the sparkles ;) and would love a piece of that cake. I can't get my hair to stay up for more than 10 minutes so kudos on the pretty hair.

    Belated happy happy to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany Rose! I'm 'blessed' with thick and quite wavy hair, which I rarely wash, so it's easy to get it to stay up.
      If it's clean, it's a huge, bouffy nightmare..

      Delete