Thursday, April 24, 2014

Autumn walks, sweaters

I've been off work for almost 2 weeks. First, away at a conference, then we've had a couple of long weekends for Easter, and now ANZAC Day. It has been a real luxury to have almost 11 days without any work commitments. On Monday it will be back to the grind, but for now, I'm feeling very un-worky and relaxed.
The weather in Sydney has been beautiful: 25 C during the day, with cooler evenings. We have been on lots of coastal walks, and trips to the beach.


J Crew Tippi sweater, Mansur Gavriel bag, Rag & Bone jeans and random hat bought in Austria.

J and I managed a couple of days to ourselves, and went for a long lunch or two. He took these pics while we were waiting for a table at Kepos St Kitchen, which is a very good cafe in Redfern. I highly recommend it if you're in the area.


J Crew sweater, Lover leather skirt, Mansur Gavriel bag


Recently, I've felt a compulsion to buy new sweaters. I'm not sure why, as Sydney winters aren't usually that cold, but I have a feeling that this winter will be a chilly one. Many of my old sweaters are in a shocking state. Several of them are over 20 years old and are way too ratty and pilled to be worn out. I did a bit of an audit, and realised that the J Crew cashmeres I was so enamoured of last year haven't worn well at all. They are terribly pilled and not the quality I hoped for. I won't be buying J Crew cashmere again.
Therefore, I've returned to brands I used to rely upon: John Smedley and Brora. I did a small order last week, and will report back on the items once they arrive.

In the meantime, here's a pic of a new red turtle-neck bought for me by J. It's a local label, Scanlan Theodore, and is 100% NZ Merino wool. It has built in hand warmers, which you can't really see here. The sleeves are long and tight-fitting with thumb holes. Perfect for our cold house!


We're off for a dinner do at friends' house tonight, then a lazy weekend at home.
What are your plans?




25 comments:

  1. Ruth love your first(and second) outfit!
    I am by myself during the week,as my husband is gone for a business trip and i cant wait for him to be back #kidsarework. haha.
    Not sure yet what we do on the weeknend,but it is never boring:$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how i typed the dollar sign,i meant:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ina! It must be hard, being a single parent during the week! I hope you have a good stock of fine wines to soothe your stress levels once the children are in bed!
      Hope you have a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. Don't you look cute. We are suppose to go to Ocracoke in the Outer Banks but the weather may stop us. We shall see in a few hours. Have a lovely week end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't get to go on your trip! Hope you had a good one regardless?

      Delete
  3. I've had to really keep my J Crew cashmere combed. Even my Brora pills though, so it seem inevitable? Oddly, the one that pills least is the joe fresh black cashmere crew i bought - go figure! You look wonderful - a rest is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all cashmere pills, but the cheaper, short- fibred stuff that JC uses pills far more than other ones I have.
      I have to comb them every time I wear them!

      Delete
  4. I've found all my JCrew knits disappointing too... and there is such a difference between good cashmere and the cheap "cashmere" sold by a lot of chain stores. Love the red Scanlan. I was looking in the store the other day, and was surprised to find a lot of the range this season is neoprene... I'll probably give it a wide berth! Sounds like you've had a wonderful break, enjoy the weekend before it's back to school xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Heidi. I've been impressed with Skin & Threads and Jac & Jack cashmere, but cheaper stuff is a fals economy. Uniqlo are now open here, and I was almost tempted to get one of their $89 cashmere, but there is no point, really.
      Scanlan is full of dodgy neoprene fabrics and lots of ponte knits. Some of the knits are fine, but I long for the Scanlan of old, with lovely fabrics. Plus, the sales assistants in the Sydney stores are AWFUL! I almost didn't get the red sweater as the woman who 'helped' me was so rude. On the phone the whole time and couldn't be bothered to look up my details on the data base, so my receipt is under some other person's account. All of them came across as vacuous idiots who were too busy trying to stay upright in their daft shoes than actually help! Grrrrr sorry for the rant!

      Delete
  5. You look fab in the turtleneck, red is really your color. I don't buy J.Crew cashmere, or really anything J.Crew anymore. The quality tanked so badly on many things and I can't be bothered to even try and find a gem or two. Enjoy the beautiful weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks xoxo! J Crew is a bit hit and miss. Still love their skirts, though.

      Delete
  6. Ruth you look amazing in that red jumper! And who doesn't love built in hand warmers? I won't touch J Crew cashmere anymore, it's waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Built in hand warmers are genius!

      Delete
  7. Ohhh I do love you in that jumper & updo! J is one lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks G! J is a good man (and very wise!)

      Delete
  8. I love that second outfit!

    I've been doing lots of boring household things and blogging. It's been lovely to unwind after a hectic couple of weeks trying to keep on top of everything with the short weeks back to back.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SSG! Off to read your blog. Back to work tomorrow. More's the pity!

      Delete
  9. I have jumpers with thumb holes (mainly fitness wear) but I just end up shoving them up my arms.
    You look Hawt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cilla, and huge congrats on your new purchase! :-)

      Delete
  10. Love your wiggly ziggly sweater - and your red skirt. You always look so fun and sassy as they say here in the US (a compliment). I long for another weekend, feel Monday knackered with deadlines at my door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, I'm knackered too - one week back at work and all the relaxation of the hols is forgotten.
      That printed sweater is a J crew one - the print is called Tipsy Parsons! Quite apt I thought.

      Delete
  11. Hi Ruth, sorry this is such a late comment - you look gorgeous, love your outfits, and the Mansur Gavriel tote is fantastic! I've been eyeballing it as a more polished version of my Bag'N'Noun tote bag, which I love to pieces but is very casual. Unfortunately, the MG totes seem to be very popular, they are sold out nearly everywhere I have looked. I also agree - J. Crew cashmere is pretty terrible quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, good to 'see' you!
      MG bags seem to be very hard to come by. I wandered into one of my favourite shops in Sydney and they'd just got a delivery. The girls who work there told me they all sold out within 2 days! Crazy! I'm very pleased with it - highly recommend the smaller size, as it's plenty big enough unless you need a huge bag!
      I'm sort of considering getting a mini bucket bag later in the year....better save some $ for it!

      Delete
  12. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete