Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter, bag and cashmere

Happy Easter! 
I was woken this morning by the children squabbling over eggs. The Easter chicken had visited, so the usual sugar overdose will occur. 
I eschewed eggs this easter and gifted myself a bag and a cashmere sweater instead.
Both of them have been on laybuy, a slightly archaic but fantastic way of buying that we still have in Australia. Basically, you leave a deposit of 20 - 30%, then pay off the balance over a period of 6 weeks. It avoids having to use a credit card, which is ideal for someone with zero financial discipline (like me). It also adds a degree of delayed gratification.

First of all, the bag:


Mansur Gavriel small tote.
It comes with its own small detachable wallet:


It can be worn as over the shoulder too, and is very light. My Mulberry Bayswater and Postman's lock bags are lovely, but weigh a bloody ton even when empty.

The second item is a black, crew neck cashmere sweater by Jac & Jack, a local label who make basic, classic knits. It's a slightly slouchy shape, with fitted sleeves and a looser body. The cashmere is pretty good quality and I hope it will last a good many years:






While I was away, I read a truly good book:


I highly recommend it. It's the sort of autobiography of a neurosurgeon, and is a fascinating look into the world of extraordinarily hard decisions. As Mr Marsh repeatedly points out in the book, there is a terrible need to balance hope with reality when you're dealing with surgery than can wreck a person's life.
If you're interested, there's a wonderful documentary about his work in Ukraine, too, called 'The English Surgeon'. As an added bonus, the soundtrack is by Nick Cave.


Easter day pic taken by M. It's a chilly 23 degrees here, so sweaters are out!

Hope you had a wonderful Easter time with lots of feasting if that's your thing.

25 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Ruth! Your bag and sweater are just lovely (and much nicer than chocolate). I could not believe how cold Sydney was early last week - I was so unprepared, and had packed very poorly for me and the kids. No umbrella for one, which I'd never travel to Melbourne without! That book sounds interesting... at one stage I wanted to be a neurosurgeon. The brain always fascinated me. Obviously Architecture won (that and the poor school marks!!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Sydney was very cold and wet last week. Happily I missed most of it as I was in country Victoria. It's lovely again now, but chilly in the morning. We've actually just been for a swim at the beach - well at least the children swam. I just sat!
      I would have loved to be a neuro-surgeon too, but no chance... I was such a total dunce at Science. It is a great read.

      Delete
  2. Chilly 23 degrees????
    like the sandals :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it does feel chilly, honest!

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter Ruth! I love your new bag and sweater...definitely much better gifts than candy or chocolate, plus you can enjoy them for many years to come! Love your Easter outfit, btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! They will last longer, and ultimately give me more joy over the longer term!
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter, Ruth!! You look beautiful as always, love the new bag. 23C sounds pretty good to me - it barely hit 10C here in Toronto, and I had to wear a wool jacket while watching the Easter parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you too, Louise, and thanks for your kind words. 23C is really not cold, but there's a chill in the air first thing in the morning and our house is very cold even when it's warm outside. Great in summer, not so great in Autumn and Winter.
      We actually went to the beach today and the kids swam. The water was 22C so not bad at all. I managed to silly tan marks from my singlet. Never mind. At least I didn't burn!
      Hope Toronto warms up for you soon... surely it must?

      Delete
  5. I love the whole look above, 23 degrees sounds like a tropical holiday to me!
    My Smythson Antonia bag weighs a ton empty too - I need to start considering that more often, I can only carry it for short periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 23C here is sort of not really warm.... but I'm sure it would feel warm if I'd had a winter in the North!
      Heavy bags have ruined my shoulder. You should check out Mansur Gavriel, Tabs. Not sure if they're your style, but they are very light and simple.

      Delete
  6. Hello Ruth,
    Well, the bag and cashmere sweater should certainly last longer than an Easter egg and look fabulous. Cashmere is such a wonderful material, light and yet warm, perfect for these capricious April days....and nights!

    The bag looks good and will surely be both practical as well as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane and Lance. I love cashmere very much. It gets harder and harder to wear other fibres!

      Delete
  7. I am with Tabs! 23 is cause for celebration in New Brunswick!! I love your tote and the slouchiness of the sweater. Only the kids get treats at Easter, I must work on adding myself to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sending Spring weather vibes your way, Wendy. Snow be gone!

      Delete
  8. Very nice bag and I'm really liking all that wood in your home. This is the Edwardian apartment? Nice pics but you do know I'm partial to the posh up do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GSL. Our house is indeed early Edwardian. It's rather dilapidated, but has a lot of character, including original fireplaces and cornices. It's a typical two storey terrace - they are pretty common in inner-city Sydney.
      I'll do an up do soon for you, promise!

      Delete
  9. I saw you snuck in the leopard print just for me...you tease. You look lovely and the Easter Chicken(?) did ya good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the bag is beautiful! Can I ask where you bought it in Sydney? I'm finding Australian stockists hard to find...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brady, Incu in the Galleries Victoria stock Mansur Gavriel. Not sure if their other branches have them, but TGV definitely do!

      Delete
    2. Thankyou for your reply!

      Delete
  11. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete