Thursday, May 8, 2014

May madness

There are some months of the year that are way more busy than others. For me, those are December, February, May and November.
May is particularly full in terms of birthdays etc.
This weekend it's Mothers' Day in Australia, the following weekend is my mother's birthday, the following one is M's 13th birthday. Added to that are 4 other friends' birthdays, including a 50th at the end of the month.
For Mothers' Day we will have my parents over for lunch, and J and children will cook and I hope to laze around!
For my mother's birthday we will again host her and my father and a friend for Sunday lunch.
M's birthday will be hosted by my parents, and she'll have a party excursion in early June to a local aquatic centre with some of her friends. She has about 4 girlfriends with birthdays in May, so her weekends are booked with social engagements too.

Added to the social stuff is activity around our upcoming renovations. We will need to move out of our house for the duration, as we'll have no water, kitchen or bathroom. We did consider trying to camp in our house, but the thought of no loo or shower isn't very appealing.
I have no idea where we'll live yet - rents in our area are stupidly expensive - about $700 a week for a two bed flat.
Anyway, I'm trying very hard to not worry about this. Yoga is helping, plus I'm going to try to do 'Mindful in May', which basically means practising 10 or so minutes a day of mindfulness mediation. I do this after my yoga practice already, but I find it really difficult to still my mind if I haven't done a physical yoga practice - my mind tends to jump all over the place and generally behave like hyperactive child. 
Wish me luck. It's hard!

A few outfits. No relevance to anything much, and they're all things I've had for a while. My budget for clothes will be zero once the renos start, and indeed for years after. 

J Crew purple dress, green scarf. Leather jacket and black Wolford opaques.



DVF dress, same leather jacket, trusty Wolford opaques and Daniele Arancani boots.



Hmm. The leather jacket's getting a lot of wear! Boden skirt and Sportscraft scarf.

Finally, I've become obsessed with Kieran Long's wardrobe on Restoration Home. Is he the most fabulously dressed man on TV or what?


Is your May crazy with social engagements?


18 comments:

  1. Fabulous outfits, as always - I think you are one of the most stylish women in the blogosphere! I hope the renos go smoothly and quickly, and best of luck with finding a temporary home in the meantime. I have heard so much about mindfulness meditation, and it was recommended (again) to me just yesterday - must go find out more about it. An early Happy Mother's Day to you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Louise, thank you so much for your very kind words! That is such a great compliment, I am very chuffed indeed!
      I've been trying to do 10m minutes of mindfulness every day, but it is so hard....
      Happy Mothers' Day to you too. I hope you get pampered and have a chance to relax!

      Delete
  2. Hello Ruth,

    The purple dress looks wonderful on you. Such a fabulous colour and it looks as if it fits like a dream. You are so very stylish, it seems to us that you could pop a paper bag on and it would look terrific!

    May does sound as if it will bring its challenges for you. One has to remember that one is only human and only so much is and can be expected. Try to enjoy the celebrations and keep things as simple as possible. The renovations are going to need all your energy as there are always so many questions to be answered and hitches to be overcome. But, try to project forward......all will be well .......and one day you will have a fully functioning and gorgeous bathroom to languish in! Well, that is the plan, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Jane and Lance, thank you so much for your compliments! A paper bag might leave parts uncovered, though, which would be scary for onlookers!!

      I am trying to focus on how wonderful it will be once the house is re-built. We will have not one, but two bathrooms, one of which will have a bath in it!! I am very much looking forward to lazing in the bath with a glass of Champagne once it's finished, although it's more likely to be Crémant than real Champers due to funds!

      Delete
  3. My dear Ruth,
    I have the difficult task of raising my glass for the purple dress and chin up pep talk for the upcoming challenges after the Sages of Budapest.
    It feels almost silly to say that they are right on every count and I do like all 3 outfits but that will always be my tendency when your donning that knock 'em dead updo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GSL! The Sages of Budapest are correct on the renovations stress, and your words are much appreciated too!
      Expect to see more updos, my hair cut budget is all but gone!

      Delete
  4. You look beautiful Ruth and all will be well! $700 a week - that seems excessive! wow! Hang in there - can't wait for the reno stories to begin! Is everyone in Australia reno-ing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Wendy! Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world for real estate unfortunately. It wasn't always the case...
      If we were willing to move out into the 'burbs we could get something for less $$$, but I am Very Unwilling to move out of the city. I know myself, and living in suburbia wouldn't suit me at all.

      Delete
  5. A bit of May madness here also. Hunter's bday, boy home, Mother's Day, sister's bday, trip to see Em play, Em home...June we rest. You look marvelous as always. I get a kick seeing you in your fall/winter gear while I am struggling not to wear shorts and a tee everyday. Good luck with the renovations and finding a temporary home. Pain in the ass but all worth the pain and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your May Madness, BB! You'll be knackered come July!

      Delete
  6. May is crazy for me too,as there is all this end of year events,ballet recital,birthday of my one daughter,mother day:)
    Love you outfit ruth,esp the purple dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina, and have a great Mothers' Day. I hope you get to laze around!

      Delete
  7. Life is a whirlwind here with me too. Your outfits look smashing as always. Especially love the DVF dress and I think I need a leather jacket. I have a cognac one that is beautiful but a black one is on my list. Happy Mother's Day and good luck on the reno. We have many home improvements planned and I am not looking forward to the mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need a black leather jacket, too, Shopping Celle! It's a wardrobe classic ;-)
      Good luck with your home improvements. I really am dreading ours, but I'm sure the results will be worth it in the end (if we're not bankrupt!!!)

      Delete
  8. We have one birthday plus Mother's Day and we think that's a lot for a month, phew, I was exhausted just reading through your activities. And you've got reno coming? Thank goodness you have the yoga and mindfulness to keep you in calmer spirits.

    You look fetching in all, nodding yes with the others' comments about your stylishness. I love how you wear green ... and that purple dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps you can make a project out of re-working outfits with your current clothes. A buy nothing new but look different project.
    but on second thoughts the renos are going to take up lots of mental room.
    Stay lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fabulous in that patterned DVF dress and that purple! When the kids were small I used to go out every night, now I go to practically nothing and the invites have def stopped coming. Two kids birthdays though these days they are more laid back thank goodness, Tallulah says she just wants to go down to the mall. Okay with me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's Just beautiful outfit looking so nice and so cool ...
    leather jackets on sale for women

    ReplyDelete