Monday, July 14, 2014

The past month

Apologies for the silence. This past month has been hard. My father is still in hospital, and it doesn't look as if he will be home any time soon.
He broke his neck at C5, then had emergency surgery as he was suffering severe stenosis from C2 to C7. He is still unable to move much, and can't swallow so is being tube fed. It is all pretty awful, really. My poor mother is terribly stressed, but being of a stoic nature, we're all staying as positive as possible and trying to take each day as it comes.

Shallow though it may seem, I cheered myself up a bit after the initial trauma by buying some new shoes from the Matches sale. I'd been stalking these mid heels for some time, so once they hit the right price, I swooped:


Nicholas Kirkwood bling shoes.
They make me feel a bit more positive during these rather dark days.

Apart from that shoe moment, I've not really thought about clothes much over the past 4 weeks.
However, we did manage to go away for a week. We had planned this trip a while ago, and I thought I might have to cancel and let the rest go without me.
However, my mother insisted that I go, and as it's only 3 hours away from Sydney, I decided to take her advice. She is a very strong woman!

Happily, my father remained stable and I managed to relax for a while. To be honest, it was a real relief to have some time away from the hospital, as apart from work, I've mainly been there since his accident.

It was a beautiful week away. The weather was cold and sunny, and we did a long bush walk every day.
The South Coast is a perfect place to decompress and take stock of life.
We went with another family and our very close friend, so there was a lot of eating and drinking too. At one point we had other friends staying nearby, so there were 13 of us in total.
We celebrated two birthdays while we were there. A 49th and a 12th.

Rock Walking:





Now I'm back to reality and am steeling myself for a period of extreme stress.
Our renovation is due to start next month, so we need to find somewhere to live.


Please spare a positive thought for my father's recovery. Or peaceful passing.


19 comments:

  1. Ruth
    I am so sorry to hear how unwell your dad has been. It must be so hard and stressful for you all

    Do take care if yourself through these trying times.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forza, Ruth! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and what a blessing you and your mom are to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish your father a full recovery and am sending you and your family all the best and positive wishes and I hope you find your own little ways to de stress and take your mind off things. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will hope for a full recovery for your father.
    The South Coast looks very interesting and with all those rocks I suspect it used to be a treacherous one for shipping traffic back in the day. Nice to hear from you Ruth; I'd been wondering how things were going with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No apologies necessary. Glad you were able to get away and somewhat, sorta, kinda relax for a bit. You're doing great kiddo! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruth, I hope your father makes a smooth and full recovery. I'm glad to hear you had a chance to decompress. Big hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you here in New Jersey, USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to read about your dad, Ruth! Hope he gets well soon!

    Your shoes are adorable. Love the vacation pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ruth, I'm glad to hear that you were able to get away for a bit, I'm sure you were an even greater help to your mum on your return. Sending you and your family best wishes at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bless.
    You have my number, Ruth - if you want to ask any questions of an aged care nature, or just want to chat.
    Cilla xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, I am so sorry for all you are going through! I am sending you love through the "machine". Good that you got away for a wee rest and I am pretty sure your dad knows and loves you enough that he would greatly approve of the shoe purchase!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about your dad's orde. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. I wish you all strength and a for your dad to recover speedily. Lots and lots of hugs and well wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear that your dad is still in the hospital. I wish you strenght for the next days/weeks.
    You can be proud of your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, these are the worst of times. My heart aches for you and your family. I wish you strength in this ordeal and hope in
    the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, I'm so sorry to read your update at how difficult and stressful things are for you at the moment and that your Dad is not doing well. Having gone through a fairly sudden and dramatic decline in health with my Mum, I have an inkling of how you must be feeling. Hope you are feeling lots of support and sending you lots of strength xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh Ruth, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, that is just too too hard!!! For everyone, I can't imagine having to go through that.

    You're not being "shallow" as you say - at all - re shoes. That is what mid heel bling shoes are for! To cheer up i these times. Love that they are grey and gold at the same time, ladylike and sassy all at once.

    Take care my friend, this is a really hard time for you.

    (By the way, you're a doctor right? That's why you are so au fait with all the medical details? Your Dad is lucky to have such a great daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your dad, and I will definitely send my positive thoughts for his recovery. Have been through similar, I know it is so hard. Hang in there best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The trip looks like it was a needed diversion. The shoes are lovely of course and I know you will style them with a fabulous outfit. I hope your father is as comfortable as possible. I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete