Thursday, October 2, 2014

Time to breathe: clothes, curtains etc

Happy October!
It's well and truly Spring here in Sydney; the weather is beautiful and there's a general feeling of positivity in the air.
I'm feeling far less heavy of heart than I have been.
This post is a bit of a mish-mash of stuff, but first up a few outfits. Nothing new, apart from the Karen Walker skirt in the first pic.
I've decided that a cropped top works best with a full skirt on me. I may be 46, but I'm not afraid to get my gut out!!
As you can see, it's not super cropped, just slightly. Don't worry, I won't be going any more cropped than this. My daughter has already told me I'm too old (don't you love the honesty of teenagers!).
She gave this top her approval, though.
Karen Walker skirt, Topshop top and APC sandals
Equipment blouse, Isabel Marant pants, Repetto shoes
Zara top, Jenny Kee scarf, J Crew Andie chinos (still going strong) and mid-life crisis shoes.

Next a renovation pic. The Slab is Down:


Fingers crossed it all proceeds smoothly. There was a delay in pouring the slab due to wet weather.
This is our new kitchen, bathrooms and small living space - hard to imagine now, but it is taking shape.

I took a few days off this week as it's the school hols. We spent a fair bit of time walking around the area where we're renting.
It's a suburban area, far more so than our 'hood. You can get a lot more house and land for your money here, but the downside for us would be the necessity of driving everywhere. I refuse to sacrifice our ability to walk and cycle for a few more square metres of land.


We also spent a bit of time hunting around for possible curtain material. 
At the back of our new structure will be a massive concertina glass door. It will be the size of the whole width of the structure, and reach from floor to ceiling (3.5 metres)
Our architect has advised us that for a glass structure of that size, blinds would not be practical, so I'm breaking my lifelong aversion to curtains and getting some made.
The fabric possibilities are endless, of course, but our budget dictates we can't go with a very pricey fabric, but we've found a few that meet our criteria.
This one is probably a bit too $$$ but it's amazing and would be very much a feature curtain:



We will almost certainly be going with this fabric instead, as it's significantly cheaper than the Lisa Bengtsson, and is a bit less of a statement. I think the fact that it's less busy and lighter will also suit the space better.


Marimekko Lumimarja fabric

What are your thought on crop tops and curtains?

20 comments:

  1. Ruth you definitely can rock the crop top. I am very happy you are feeling a bit lighter! Time heals, as does the spring. :)
    Gorgeous fabrics both of them, I can see the appeal of each and the Marimekko will be a great choice for the simpler colours and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dani! Time really does heal.
      The Marimekko will work well, I think.
      Must pop over to see your new Brora dress!

      Delete
  2. I do believe I see A bellybutton...and quite cute one at that. You look fabulous and am so glad you had a "good day". I do think of you often and hope you are having more good than bad but with the renovations piled on top of everything else I am sure everything has gone to shit :) hang in there baby. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. I'm having more good than bad days, but my mum is still haing a lot of bad ones.... Not at all surprising seeing as they were married for 55 years. Coupled with all of the grief has been a whole heap of very confusing paperwork and terrible problems with banks. It's very hard dealing with bureaucracy when you're over a certain age and not computer literate. Hell, it's hard esven if you are computer literate.
      Anyway, thanks for thinking of us xxx

      Delete
  3. Do you think you could post a pic of the front of your house. Houses here in Canada seem different form what Austraila has.....I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE OF IT....
    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, I'll post a a pic of the front soon. It's a late Edwardian terrace, so probably very different from architecture in Canada. It's also in the centre of Sydney, so not much land! It's probably tiny in comparison to most Canadian homes!

      Delete
  4. You rock a crop top. Hot!
    glad you are feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I'm not totally convinced it's a great idea to be wearing a crop top, but bugger it, as long as I feel ok, then it works!

      Delete
  5. Ruth, the little peek of midriff is quite nice on you and with your dynamite figure the form fitting top goes very well with the full skirt. All 3 of those outfits are fab!
    The curtain fabrics look very interesting and it's always hard to gauge what works until you have a large sample to 'try on' a room. See if they'll loan you a butt roll or large sample to tack up and see how it feels...so I wouldn't commit until the reno is complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GSL, that is great advice. They have offered to lend us a fool to hang, so we will do that as soon as we have the walls up! We need to make some decisions fairly soon, though, otherwise we will have no curtains til Feb or March next year - everyone takes Dec and Jan off here for summer!

      Delete
  6. I'm with GSL on this - I'd wait till closer to the end, though I know you will need it quite quickly, as you will be in summer and I bet that room will get hot. Assume they'll be lined? They are both lovely prints, but so different. The only thing I would ask is: which makes your heart sing? The older I get, only things that make my heart sing make the cut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, you're quite right, it would be good to wait, but not really possible. The room is north facing ( best orientation in Soutehrn Hemi), but won't get too hot as it has a shade thingy that juts out onto the deck. It's more for security/privacy. We have a laneway at the back of the house so need some window coverings!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the Marimekko is my preferred choice. I love it - it sort of reminds me of cherry blossom in Japan.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ruth - I think the crop top works very nicely with the full skirt, and you can definitely rock it. Love all three of your outfits. You always look gorgeous!

    Glad to see the reno coming along nicely. Your fabric choices are lovely, and I agree with Wendy that you should ask which makes your heart sing...especially if you are going to have them for many years to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Melissa!
      It's hard to know whether a particular fabric will stand the test of time, but I reckon the Marimekko one will be great.

      Delete
  8. I say that there are so many types of blinds out there that there must be something out there that will work. I also refuse to sacrifice my mobility and proximity for more space as much as I complain about it. Good luck with everything and glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might be blinds that would work, but I think we've come to terms with a curtain now, and I think the blinds we'd need my get bankrupt us!
      I love being in the city.... Interestingly, I sleep worse here in the 'burbs due to all the birds singing than in the city with train and shouting people!

      Delete
  9. You of all people can pull off a crop top Ruth! So funny that your daughter is now dispensing advice on whether it's ok though. Love the fabric choices. I think the marimekko is the winner - fresh and Sydney appropriate. So exciting you have a slab! You'll now get the fun part where the extension shrinks, then seems enormous, then shrinks again… funny how frames/ slabs etc can distort size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! It is funny have a teenager to nag me!
      You're so right about the slab playing games with size! It looked tiny at first, but looked big last time we saw it because of the wooden thingys!
      The Marimekko will,look good, I think.
      Can't wait for more progress - it's a long weekend here so everyone seems to have taken a whole week off!

      Delete
  10. The Istikhara is an Islamic tradition which is strongly rooted in our culture of Iran, India and Pakistan. Amil Bangali Baba"
    Man Pasand Shadi

    ReplyDelete